System Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. My first post here for the specific purpose mentioned above :)

Problem: Everytime I start Windows (Vista) on my laptop, it starts fine, but freezes immediately after I press the Start Button. Sometimes it freezes at other instances. The problem is, I cannot press START anymore under normal start up, so if your solution is to select any program from normal start, I won't be able to without it refreezing.

I can start in Safe Mode without any problems, and came across many errors in Event Viewer under Administrative Tools. I have copied the error when the system last froze (pasted below).

So, knowing I cannot install or uninstall anything in Normal Mode, nor can I add/remove programs, or burn CD's in Safe Mode, how do I know what the problem is with the techstuff below?

Please help!

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM
Date: 4/18/2008 5:19:31 PM
Event ID: 10005
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Owner-PC
Description:
DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service wuauserv with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns= >
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM" Guid="{1B562E86-B7AA-4131-BADC-B6F3A001407E}" EventSourceName="DCOM" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">10005</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-18T21:19:31.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>103223</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="param1">1084</Data>
<Data Name="param2">wuauserv</Data>
<Data Name="param3">
</Data>
<Data Name="param4">{E60687F7-01A1-40AA-86AC-DB1CBF673334}</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>

Are you on a network part of the time?
Usually a memory error, or dirty cooling channels, or dirt and hair in the CPU fan... or other fans, or hard drive, but based on the error with wuauserv, it may be related to the automatic updates service starting and stopping automatically, or if you see related errors such as 0x8DDD0018 that automatic updates is not enabled. You may see wuauserv Automatic Update Services stops automatically even though the services is set to automatic start up.
If you change the properties of the Automatic Updates service (via Group Policy - Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, System Services) to set it as Disabled or edited the Access Control, ACL on Automatic Update Client (WUAUSERV) service. Since, the ACL (permissions) on the Automatic Update Service (WUAUSERV) is changed, you may have to reset the security settings on the Automatic Updates Service (WUAUSERV) & BITS Service to their defaults
You can find more how how to do this at www.microsoft.com searching for "WUAUServe error" or "sc sdset wuauserv"

raybay said:
Are you on a network part of the time?
Usually a memory error, or dirty cooling channels, or dirt and hair in the CPU fan... or other fans, or hard drive, but based on the error with wuauserv, it may be related to the automatic updates service starting and stopping automatically, or if you see related errors such as 0x8DDD0018 that automatic updates is not enabled. You may see wuauserv Automatic Update Services stops automatically even though the services is set to automatic start up.
If you change the properties of the Automatic Updates service (via Group Policy - Computer Configuration, Windows Settings, Security Settings, System Services) to set it as Disabled or edited the Access Control, ACL on Automatic Update Client (WUAUSERV) service. Since, the ACL (permissions) on the Automatic Update Service (WUAUSERV) is changed, you may have to reset the security settings on the Automatic Updates Service (WUAUSERV) & BITS Service to their defaults
You can find more how how to do this at [site] searching for "WUAUServe error" or "sc sdset wuauserv"

Here is where I sound dumb, though I am not - really! Well, network you mean connected to an internal network? No, I am on a laptop that is connected to a WiFi.

In fact, I noticed MANY errors starting up windows today (for the first time in 3 days). Almost more than 15 errors in the Event Viewer.

So, let me try what you suggested BUT - where do I access Group Policy? I do not know how to get to Computer Configuration.... after hitting the START button in Safe Mode - where next? Thanks and sorry for the hassle of you having to explain how to get there :)

No, I meant to you connect the laptop to a Network ... a real network... like at work, intermittently.

Another error I randomly picked that ocurred today:

Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 4/18/2008 4:52:02 PM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Owner-PC
Description:
The ZDPSp60 NDIS Protocol Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns=[site]>
<System>
<Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908D1-A6D7-4695-8E1E-26931D2012F4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49152">7000</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-04-18T20:52:02.000Z" />
<EventRecordID>103074</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Owner-PC</Computer>