System freezing on me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong area. Figured it would be close to what my problem may be. And if there is a thread similar that already exists. But I'm stumped.
I have a self built computer (about 5 years old or so). I want to exaust all my options before I spend money on rebuilding this system. Here is what I have...

Mobo: Gigabite GA7NNXP
Ram: 1each centon 512mb PC2700; 2 each centon 256mb PC 2700. (bought 1g Kingston to trouble shoot the problem. same issue no matter which combo of ram)
Vid card: Nvidia G force- 5500
Processor: AMD XP (I believe 650)
Pwr Supply: ANTEC 350 watt
DVD Writer: HP DVD 1170
HD: 160G Western Digital
Cooling: 3 80mm fans and a large one on the top center of the case. All working.

Problem...

I started having a problem with the system freezing on me. I would go on line and check email or something similar, and it would freeze. I cant even CTL/ALT/DEL out of it, I have to shut it down. It looks like I am looking at a screen shot. You cant do anything, no cursor movement. Nothing. I totally erased the hard drive and started from scratch. When I would get to the license agreement on the installation. The system would shut down and and I would get 4 long beep tones alternating in pitch. High-low-high-low; then shut down. I pretty sure thats a DDR error or something like that. I disconnected everything except the minimum to run, same thing. I stopped messing with it for like a day or so, tried again (this is with the kingston ram) and things seemed to be fine. Windows installed like it is suppose to. Figured, problem solved. Not so much. I got online to download Mozilla or something, and as soon as the download was finished, everything froze. Right now as it sits, the kingston ram, is installed (brand new) and the minimum. I even disconnected the DVD drive, and the thing still locked up. Like I said if this post is in the wrong place or a similar thread is already active. I apologize. Thanks. Hopefully I gave enough info.

It seems that your problem is in the psu or the ram.

What are the timings on the ram. You need to make sure that your ram voltages aren't exceeding the limit of one stick(which may require less voltage than another, or vise versa. One requiring more voltage than the other) and causing lock ups. Check the voltage rating on all your ram, usually there is a sticker on the ram, or you can look it up online. Go into your bios and make sure your voltages are set to specifications. Although you didnt have the problem at first it could cause a problem over time.

Someone may have more suggestions as well, that's just my experience.

i looked at my ram and all it has is brand name, pc2700, size memory, where it was made, and the void warranty disclosure. tried going to new egg, and tiger direct to see if i could find the timings. nothing.

Download and run something like Everest (from www.majorgeeks.com) which will give your your PSU voltages and system temps.
Is it maybe a temp thing - is the machine next to the heater? Is the outside temp higher than it was?

Ill check that out. No the comp is in my office area in the house (with another pc. the one im on now). Towers are separate from each other and are on separate power sources. I live in south Georgia so its pretty warm, but the ac is full tilt most the time. Ill tweak around a little more, be back with an update.

Ok, on a fluke. I went into bios to look at things a little more. I went to advanced chipset features and under memory frequency, it was set to SPD. I set it to auto and everything started fine. Could that be a cause?

Could be - but how did it get changed in the first place? Strange things happen at sea, they say! If it works, you have fixed it!

Checking Good.

Ok, on a fluke. I went into bios to look at things a little more. I went to advanced chipset features and under memory frequency, it was set to SPD. I set it to auto and everything started fine. Could that be a cause?

Just an update. Since I have changed this setting in BIOS, I have ran the computer through its paces, gamed, streamed video and what not. So far, (knock wood) the computer is operating just fine. I have no idea how that setting was changed, but with it set to AUTO, everything is GTG. :grinthumb Thanks for the post.

Is it heat? Was it a particularly warm night in Georgia? What does Everest tell you?
Mind you, this thing of mine locks up occasionally and usually when opening a web page with Firefox - it does it so infrequently I just live with it!

ok, i used Everest and I checked the memory timings, they match up. the CPU temp was showing 68C (154F). that seems pretty cool to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back