System Hangs when Restarting - XP pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

mke

Hello.

i have a problem. that problem is very common these days. it seems everyone has it in a form or another. in either case it is annoying and please do help.

Whenever i restart the system it hangs on 2 possible screens, 1st on the splash screen when windows is loading, and the 2nd on the windows login prompt.
Now i notice also that e.g. when the system is shutting down from windows and eventually the black screen appears, for the first 5-10 seconds when the system initialises after the power cut and i hear the floppy disk initialising aswell, the system is restarted again and it goes again from start and initialises screen/floppy/bios... this happens on every restart. its like the system restarts twice or even sometimes 3 times.

thereafter once the system starts loading it can hang in any of the 2 possible times i mentioned. After 3-4 attempts i can login to the system excausted...

now the another problem that i notice with this, is that on every occasion that i need a restart, e.g. system changes and registry edits, the actual edited entries, once saved on the pre-restarted system, are now gone on the restarted system.

why o why oooo freaking why?
am going crazy with this and it has been going on for a few months, but cant stand it anymore. it is like the system on every restart deletes all changes (even if i havent made any) and loads a default setup with my stuff or something...

any advice much appreciated.

thank you

ps: no blue screens btw or any crashes or something so i havent got a minidup. neither any entry on the event viewer, besides the occasional dchp / windows time error.

My computer was doing something similar after my last format/reinstall and was fixed by installing some correct drivers. I updated from the windows assigned drivers to the manufacturer drivers for my graphics card, monitor, and chipsets. After that the problem stopped.

For troubleshooting what happens when you boot into safe mode?

Also have you tried scanning your drive for errors

hi there,

drives are error free, passed chkdsk and boot time scan. no event viewer entries either.
the only thing affected is the registry edits that dont get saved as i need to restart 3-4 times to log to windows, so i believe that system after the 2nd 3rd restart drops all changes and loads a default file i think. dunno. correct me if am wrong cause that system is nuts.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back