System reboots constantly, when I change my RAM from Single Channel to Dual Channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattw

My spec is in my profile, but I will also list it here.... I just noticed today that my RAM was running Single Channel mode, so I thought I would change it to Dual Channel mode... so I did.

It completes the Windows XP loading screen, then reboots... constantly, until I change it back to Single Channel mode.

Is there something wrong with my RAM? or is it the motherboard? or my PSU not giving the mobo enough power? I dont have every power cable plugged in, I have a 20 pin ATX power in the 24 pin plug, and the 4 pin ATX power plug and a 4 pin molex cable plugged into the motherboard. Could this not be giving it enough power?

Many thanks, system spec =

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D
2 x 512mb Crucial Ballistix PC3200 DDR400
Connect 3D X1800XT 256Mb
2 HDD's etc.
Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU.

Check your mobo manual, to see in which slots you need to put memory sticks to make it work in Dual Channel mode.
AFAIK you need 1 each of the same size/type in slots 1 and 3 (yellow) for DC.

When i was trying dual channel mode out, they were in the correct slots, both yellow/both orange. they are matched pairs on Crucial Ballistix RAM.

I will look at CPUZ to see if the RAM sticks are running the same speeds, timings etc. If not i will adjust manually in the BIOS.

Thanks for the help ....Any more ideas?

It is a configuration problem, or heaven forbid... a defective motherboard. This rebooting over and over in lesser single channel systems means bad RAM or incorrect RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back