TechSpot

System reboots constantly, when I change my RAM from Single Channel to Dual Channel

By mattw
Sep 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My spec is in my profile, but I will also list it here.... I just noticed today that my RAM was running Single Channel mode, so I thought I would change it to Dual Channel mode... so I did.

It completes the Windows XP loading screen, then reboots... constantly, until I change it back to Single Channel mode.

Is there something wrong with my RAM? or is it the motherboard? or my PSU not giving the mobo enough power? I dont have every power cable plugged in, I have a 20 pin ATX power in the 24 pin plug, and the 4 pin ATX power plug and a 4 pin molex cable plugged into the motherboard. Could this not be giving it enough power?

Many thanks, system spec =

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
    DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D
    2 x 512mb Crucial Ballistix PC3200 DDR400
    Connect 3D X1800XT 256Mb
    2 HDD's etc.
    Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Check your mobo manual, to see in which slots you need to put memory sticks to make it work in Dual Channel mode.
    AFAIK you need 1 each of the same size/type in slots 1 and 3 (yellow) for DC.
  3. mattw

mattw TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 117

When i was trying dual channel mode out, they were in the correct slots, both yellow/both orange. they are matched pairs on Crucial Ballistix RAM.

I will look at CPUZ to see if the RAM sticks are running the same speeds, timings etc. If not i will adjust manually in the BIOS.

Thanks for the help ....Any more ideas?
  4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,845   +165

It is a configuration problem, or heaven forbid... a defective motherboard. This rebooting over and over in lesser single channel systems means bad RAM or incorrect RAM
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

OR Dual Channel only works with ONE pair of sticks installed (like in my Abit AV8)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.