TechSpot

System reboots often after installing additional RAM

By moviedownload
Dec 25, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. After adding 1 GB of RAM to my system, it restarts very often.

Mother board - D865GSA
    Processor - PentiumĀ® 4 Processor 511, 1M Cache, 2.80 GHz
    RAM - 512 MB (additional 1 GB added)

If i remove the additional 1 GB RAM, the system works perfect. Could any of you help me to identify if the RAM what i am using is not good? or is there any other problem with my PC? Please help!
  2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,141   +30

What happens if you just leave the 1 GB in and remove the 512? Do a search for your motherboard and find out how much RAM it is designed for.
  3. moviedownload

moviedownload TS Rookie Topic Starter

If i remove the 512 and use 1 GB, the system boots and the windows dosent appear correct and it keeps on rebooting.

If i use both 512 and 1 GB RAM, the system boots perfect (with correct windows logo) and works fine for sometime. After 2 to 5 min, the system reboots automatically.
  4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,141   +30

Is this new RAM designed for your motherboard, i.e., voltage and timings? Did you do a search for your motherboard to find out the memory requirements and configurations?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.