System reboots when trying to install program

Problem: System reboots when trying to install a program and after it has restarted it says it recovered from an error and asks if I want to send an error report.

Totally sounded like it could be the power supply being too small (similar post on TechSpot May 2006). However, I copied the CD (the whole thing) to the hard drive and tried to run the setup file from the hard drive and it still restarts the computer and after restarting says it recovered from an error. It did this with 3 separate programs.

I finally switched towers and then had to switch monitors and finally can run at least one of the programs (tried to install 1 of the programs, but it seems that it was for Windows 95 [we are running XP] and it didn't want to work; I didn't try the other one).

I'm still trying to figure out what the problem would be with the other tower. I picked it up used and cheap, but don't want to throw a ton of money into it (defeats the purpose of getting it cheap, right?).

Any help? It is not hooked up to the Internet, so a virus is not likely; neither is malware, spyware, or the like.

This sounds like a compatibility problem between the programs and the graphics driver of the problem tower. Are these programs games? What are the complete computer specs of this tower?

I will have to get back to you on that one! Like I said, I bought the tower used and haven't really looked. I only know that it is a Dell Dimension 4550 and that it has 512 Mb RAM. I will have to hook it back up and look at the specs on it.

Yes, all three of the programs were games, but they are older games (for Windows 3.1 [says 3.1, not 3.11], 95, and 98). I hooked up a different tower that we have and it is working good for all but 1 of the games (looks to really be an older game). I know the tower that is currently running has 1 GB RAM (because I upgraded it from 512 MB; is 2.3 Ghz (or somewhere like that); and I don't know all the other stuff on it, but it is running good. It is a Dell Dimension 8110. (Just noticed the giant difference in model numbers...that could be part of the problem; I guess the 4550 is way old?). Still, if I could get away with a $25 fix, it would be worth it.

For the most part programs written for Windows 3.1, Windows 95 and Windows 98 are now junk. Some I had that were written for 98 were unstable even under that OS. They went in the bin recently. There are some retro gaming enthusiasts who have worked out ways of running some such titles though. I bought a few cheap educational titles at a charity shop and none of them would work. Some Microsoft titles which are vintage may still be good, like Home Publishing 99, but I'd forget anything else. It's not worth the aggravation of struggling with obsolete software.

Back