System restore not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

chicoreid

window says system restore unsuccessful due to an undisclosed error. windows vista home premium . same thing in safe mode. please help

Seldom does work, really.
You might try a full defrag and try again, but usually when System Restore doesn't work there is no good fix.
Any chance you have an infestation?

Defrag

thanks raybay. will defrag in a tic and both of my security software run clean in addition to a registry cleaner. sys res has worked up until now and I don't know when it stopped. i noticed it today when i tried unsuccessfully to download and install the Paypal soft ware to let you use it on all sites. i have deleted all references to that software.

Seldom does work, really.
You might try a full defrag and try again, but usually when System Restore doesn't work there is no good fix.
Any chance you have an infestation?
Others have had great success with System Restore and certainly defrag will absolutely not fix any software problems.

IMO; Your experiences certainly conflict with at least mine.

The defrag went great but didn't change the system restore issue. I then bisabled system restore and re-enabled it, created a restore point and tried system restore with the same results.. Make me leary of adding any changes to my PC for fear of not being able to get rid of something that didn't load properly. I sure do miss my plan B (system restore) I'm open to suggestions. Thanks folks.

I then bisabled system restore and re-enabled it, created a restore point and tried system restore with the same results..
That sequence has deleted all previous System Restore points; nice way to trim disk space
but all attempts at System Restore are futile :(

If you need recovery, you will now need the OEM CD disk and need to REPAIR the install.

I don't think I have lost or have been prevented from doing anything other than the System Restore function so i'll use the re-install as maybe a last resort. Time will tell on this one. Thanks much.

Guys my issue with system Restore has been fixed. The same cause prevented me from making a backup. I found this post by "Colin" in another forum that mirrored my trouble and in following his instructions I can now do a system restore and system backup. See below:

Colin

External

Since: Apr 22, 2007

(Msg. 9) Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:14 pm
Post subject: Re: Vista Backup Failing : 0x80070002 Error Code Add to elertz [in reply to: HiFi]
Archived from groups: microsoft>public>windows>vista>file_management, others (more info?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HiFi,

Yes - I have managed to resolve it but it certainly wasn't easy.

It seems to be caused by an error in the registry which is somehow caused
when a user profile is removed. Keys are left in the registry which lack
Profile Image Paths. These then cause Restore & backup to fail with the
0x80070002 error.

This is what I did (don't attempt if you are not confident hacking the
registry):

Look at the keys under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

The longer value keys will have ProfileImagePath values with values such as
'C:\Users\Username' where Username is the name you have given a User
Profile.
However, you may have some keys in there which lack a ProfileImagePath value
altogether. These would seem to be erroneous.

I deleted two keys which did not have this value (save copies before you
attempt to delete them). Then when I retried Backup & Restore centre it
worked perfectly.

I have alerted this problem to the appropriate team in MS. It shouldn't
happen!

Hope this hellps all that need it. Fairways and Greens to everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back