System Shuts down ( different system )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikell808

I know same title but this is a different system I am working on. Aside from while in Windows the following occurs during testing. While running the Memtester or Spinrite this system shuts down and starts making a very low frequency dual beeping noise almost like an Ambulance in England in the far distance. I then have to hold in the power button for several seconds to shut it down. Any ideas what is occuring?

Thanks again

It sounds like Memtester or Spinrite is not compatible with the current system. Just what are you trying to test here... and why?

The system shuts down for no appearant reason while running Windows. Been trying to determine the cause. Running Memtest to see if its the Memory, Spinrite to check and repair the hard drive. Base on current results I am leaning towards Motherboard problems.

Both Spinrite and Memtester run fine for awhile before the problem occurs, as a matter of fact Spinrite ran for over 36 hours before the sytem crashed. Memtester usually gets thru the first pass but fails sometime during the second pass. Could that Beeping noise be a sign some kind of Virus in the Eeprom? Going to pull the battery and reset the mother board and also going to try and find an upgrade for the Bios.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

First thing I checked was the processor fan, its working ok. I dont know what temperature to expect. Its an anthalon 1800, i'll check the bios and report back.

Checked the BIOS, temperature was 70 C/156 F. I have no idea if that is an acceptable range, please let me know.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own. ;)

Updated info while awaiting a reply. I disabled the L2 cache and the Memtester ran 14 passes over night, Enabled the L2 cache and the Memtester began reporting errors on test 7. As a note I have pulled the 256 MB DDR chip and installed a known working 512 MB SDRAM. Going to try and duplicate the results by turing on and off the L2 cache and then doing it again after re-installing the DDR. If its the L2 cache is there something I can do to fix it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back