System totally crashed after BSOD, help salvaging family pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornia

hi everyone I'm new here so bare with me I'm running a windows xp s/p3 media centre i think because 5 years ago the hard drive was replaced I'm computer illerate few weeks back I shut down and it loaded some updates than i turned it back on and it said a file was missing so I used my friends disc to get to recovery console fixed the missing file than i was able to log in safe mode with a error message 0x80090006 so i found a solution from microsoft so i thought and followed that logged back on to a blue screen i pulled out the ram put it back guess i should'nt have because all it does now is beeps i don't want to lose my family photo's live and learn any help would be greatly appreciated

You might want to first try get a copy of your files from that disk even before you try fixing the problem itself. See [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]

Hi Lookin and thank you for the information I am wandering though am I able to still do this when the pc's won't even start now just beeps

Oh. Sorry. I thought you were just getting BSODs (I missed at end of your post where i now see you said you just get beeps now)

So, yes, what i proposed won't work until you can at least get the computer to boot.

Sounds most likely that either the memory card is bad or perhaps you didn't re-insert it correctly.

> Could you tell me the exact make and model of your computer? (there should be a tag on it somewhere with that info)
> Also, do you remember how many memory sticks were in your computer when you opened it?

/* edit */
You might also try "re-seating" the memory card. First, be sure to ground yourself (touch something metallic) before touching the memory card as you want to avoid any static electricity shocks which aren't good for the card. When you reinsert push in firmly and evenly so the card goes into the slot all the way (and evenly)

fyi.... For the purpose of recovery, it might be possible to even run without the memory card but that depends on your specific computer make and model (some computers require memory "pairs" in order for it to run

Hi Lookin thank you for replying so quickly first i will tell you what i did when i removed the memory card i put the tower on the coffee table and i sat on the couch and pulled it out there was only one if i'm correct on it says 512mb i thought i had replaced it correctly but maybe not so many wires and cords was scared of breaking anything i done the samething to a old one i have and it too only beeps now i tryed starting the newer one without the card but it only beeped so i put it back in correctly so i thought but still only beeps it is so hard to see if it is in right here is all the INFO you requested that i found on the back and the side of the PC Hp media center mooo HW Bom Oqq 10410 sw Bom NA 47 system no.Dt26 3a-aba AC Input 100-127v-4.0a 50/60 HZ 200-240v-2.oa whatever all this means and if it is the same as before the hard drive was replaced in regards to saving my photo's what do i have to purchase right now i'm away from home so no access to my pc but all help you can give is greatly appreciated hope the INFO from what i gave to you is helpful take care

forgot to leave the info from the side here it is windows xp media center edition 2004 (1-20) CPU If again this is the same as before the hard drive was changed

It's an HP computer?

I need the product name/model number. If you go the HP support site here you'll see a link on "How do I find my product name/number". See if you can

1. Find the product name/number for your computer
2. Enter it on that HP support page
3. HP should then take you the support page for that model (along with a picture of your computer)

You can use the picture to make sure you got the product name/number right and tell me what it is so i can look stuff up for it

/* edit */
I think it will basically come down to a couple options
1. Trying to "re-seat" the current memory card and/or buying a new memory card. Then trying to reboot from CD
2. You buy a "hard drive enclosure". When you buy an external hard drive its essentially just a disk drive inside of an enclosure. You can just buy the empty enclosure then take the drive out of the computer and put it in the enclosure so you can connect it to a different computer (usually over USB cable that also comes with the enclosure)

Generally, good to buy this stuff at local computer store where you can also be assure of refund within 30days should you need to return it for any reason.

hi lookin it is m476n model no. DT263a hope this helps much appreciate it can you please explain to me more about enclosure and drives and usb cable

OK. So (for anyone who might be joining this thread) this link is your computer's specs

And suggest you start by looking here for HP info about
> Installing memory and
> What to do if problems occur after installing memory

You might want to try re-installing that memory card first to see if your PC will then at least attempt to boot up

I'll follow (and/or ask someone else to drop in) for info about new memory or hard drive enclosures if needed

Hi Lookin I have been away as it turns out my roomate took my pc to a repair tech he said the hard drive needs replacing so he has done that but now with the old one he says that he is unable to get my data so my question now is how can I retrieve my data from the old one I asked if the old one was left in there could i access the files with the new operating system he said no Thank You

Hi Lookin thanks for replying so quick I will be getting the old hard drive tomorrow night and my pc back and hopefully with your help my photo's I will check back later

I don't know if the tech already did both these steps (they sometimes only do the first) but in any case, here's what you'd need to accomplish..

Also if you're going to attempt this may be best for you to create a new thread with a title something like Need Help moving Internal to an External USB Hard Drive (as others may also be of more help with the hardware details to try this)

As you;d need do 2 things
1) Connect the internal drive to your new computer via USB. In general, you can do it either
> Putting it in a USB enclosure (example, see here)
> Or you can also find just the USB adapter cables to connect drive to computer if you just want to test HD sitting on your desk with cable connected

2) Then see if computer recognizes first the drive and then valid data and filesystem on the drive. If not filesystem, the data might be corrupted and that point you can try some recovery tools

Hi Lookin as it turned out the tech did take the time recovering my photo's he said he had to put the hard drive in upside down i have the old hard drive but there are still some files i would like to try and retrieve all said and done cost me $250.00 and tech did'nt tell me he was going to try to recover data grrrrrrr wish i knew more about computers very expensive to own also where do I post the new thread? thanks very much for all of your help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back