System won't boot from CD-ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

koneck

I am trying to format my pc but the problem is the motherboard only support one IDE cable (pci extension slots are available). I have the cd-rom and the hard disk on the same ide cable and i set one as master and the other as slave but it doesn't boot from the cd-rom, i switch them a round and still nothing.

I know I can use a usb flash drive as a boot disk but can I make it back into a normal flash drive?

I wouldn't mind knowing how to go about booting from LAN too.

Let's get back to basics then. Can you list your system specifications so we know what we are working with?

Are you sure the CD drive is working properly?

This link show the same motherboard i am using (biostar.com.tw/app/en-us/mb/content.php?S_ID=370) and yes the cd drive is working cause i replace it with one from my other pc. The other pc boot without a problem.

Okay, that's the motherboard. What about the rest of the components?

What Windows version are you trying to install? The Windows CD is in the CD drive before you start the PC, not after, correct?

the pc is no running on windows xp sp2 and I am trying to install windows sp3.
I have a Western Digital 80gb hard drive, an LG HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N. and AMD Sempron1.91ghz, 384mb of RAM

Wait a mo' You may be trying to boot a CD which is NOT an install CD. Something in what you are saying says you may have an SP3 update CD. MS will supply this on request, but (although I have never seen one), it may not be bootable, it may just require executing.

I think we are getting to the crux of the problem. Exactly what CD do you have here? It wouldn't make sense to upgrade Windows XP SP2 to SP3 from a full Windows XP SP3 CD but rather from an SP3 update CD as gbhall said. If so, you don't boot from it. You simply install it. Maybe what you call "boot" is not the same as what we are thinking as "boot."

I want to install a fresh copy of xp.The cd that i have can boot other pc but not this one, I used the same cd and format 4 other pc before but it does not seem to be working on this one.

Well, all I can gather from what you have said is the actual drive will allow booting in another PC, but not in this one. You only have one IDE channel with 2 devices on it. Right?

Often a CD will only boot when set as either first or second drive on the channel, and it depends !. This requires the master/slave settings to be either slave or cable-select. If cable-select, then a specific cable type is required.

Try this: http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_connect_ide_hd.html for the full info

If that doesnt help you, either the drive or cable is faulty, and should be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back