System won't detect 2nd hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

amdGuy

i recently decided to install a 2nd HD. for some reason my sustem won't detect it. Here's how I have it set up.

Primary IDE Slot: HD #1 working fine
Secondary IDE Slot: Master CD-ROM working fine
Slave HD #2 not working

any ideas would be appreciated. the first time i installed the 2nd HD it worked fine, so i shut down my computer so i could put it back together and when i booted back up it wasn't working. i've tried every combination i could think of as far as which drive was the master or slave and what not. they are different HDs, and i've read some HDs may not work with each other, dunno if that's the problem or not.

Here's what I'd suggest you do, and then post back if it didn't work:
1. HD#1 stays Master on Primary IDE Channel
2. HD#2 becomes Master on Secondary IDE Channel
3. CD#1 becomes Slave on Secondary IDE Channel

You could change the 3rd one and make the CD slave on the primary.

Make sure you have the jumpers correct, sometimes those little diagrams can be reversed from what it appears, the diagrams are right, but if you translate them directly down to your jumper you'd be backwards (in some cases), so always look for an indicator on there such as Pin 1 for the ide cable.

I know you've gone through the jumpers previously, but try setting it up like I said and double checking you have the jumpers correct. Alternatively you could set all the jumpers to CS and hope it works, but I've never had much faith in CS.

ok i fixed my hd problem by swapping out the 2nd hd for a different brand. apparently seagates and western digitals don't like each other. so i swapped the WD for a Maxtor and now my system detects it, only now, it is not showing up in windows explorer for some reason. anybody know whats goin on? thanks!

As far as my experience goes i have never run into one HDD manufacturer not liking another one...
Just doesn't make sense.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back