TechSpot

System won't POST after installing Radeon HD 6990

By munny
May 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi Guys!

I've had good luck here in the past so Im hoping to get some help again. Here's myy story:

I recently bought an XFX Radeon 6990 from Provantage, got the card and installed it in my system, and No dice. I get Fans powering up on it but does not go to post screen. I Feel like I have it fully seated in the PCI slot, both 8pin power connecters are attached I just can't figure it out. I RMA'd the card to XFX and they came back telling me it fully tested ok for them. Now as I wait for it in the mail to return to me Im trying to diagnose what may keep it from working for me.

Like I said I feel like it was fully seated.
    Both power connecters are attached.
    I tried booting with out any usbs plugged up
    the system boots just fine with my gfx cards that i am replaceing (2 x 9800gt's )
    system boots just fine with a single 9800 gt

rest of system components are -
    AMD phenom 9950
    Asus M3N72-D mobo just updated to latest bios
    tagen 1100w Power supply
    8 gigs of ram (4 x 2gig sticks)
    single HD
    single dvd rom
    Windows vista 64 bit

any thoughts greatly appreciated!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,927   +167

Have the XFX Radeon 6990 replaced under warranty

3. munny

munny TS Rookie Topic Starter

I upgraded my board to an intel board with a core i5, and ddr3 ram. and card runs fine. Not sure what system component it didn't like before, but i lead towards the MOBO although it certainly was on AMDs approved list...

Thread solved

4. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,927   +167

Okay, thanks for the update :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.