System won't post

dyeman

HI,
I have a custom built system with an Asus P5B motherboard with a LGA 775 processor, 4 Gig of RAM, 2 hard drives 1 500MB drive with Win XP (hardly used) and a second drive with Win 7. System seemed to freeze up and upon reboot it wouldn't even POST. I can't even shut it down by holding in the power button. I tried swapping RAM, unplugging all the peripherals with no success.So I am assuming its a motherboard or processor issue. Question is how do I tell which without trying the processor in a different motherboard.

Thanks
DS

System has been working fine for years. Just stopped booting up and POSTing all of a sudden.The green lights on the motherboard light up and an amber or orange light behind the power button lights (its usually blue) But in answer to your question yes the power supply is connected near the CPU
Thanks
DS

Try another power supply first. Green lights on the motherboard only tell you that +5 volts is present. The computers power supply provides many more voltages. If only one is missing, trouble happens

Back