TechSpot

System won't start after installing new psu and brush with death

By hatevillain
Nov 2, 2008
  1. I'm using an Acer E500. I replaced the old 250W PSU and ATI Radeon X300 video card with a new Cooler Master 460W and a Leadtek GF9600GT. After connecting all the connectors my systemsimply won't start. I then tweaked the voltage setting from 230 to 115. Shortly after that I turned on the power and was rewarded with a loud "SNAP"and a burning smell. Is my PC now fried? What was the cause of the original problem in the first place? Does ny newPSU have enough power to support my new GFX card which requires a minimum of 400W? I only bought the 460W PSU because the shopowner toldme it'd work. Please help!!
     
  2. mica3speedy

    mica3speedy TS Rookie Posts: 89

    I would check all of your components. Start with the motherboard, looking for blown or swelled capacitors. Then pull/disconnect components. Put in your old video card to see if the new one is faulty. If you have multiple sticks of ram, try one at a time, in different slots as well. Switch to your old power supply and see if it works with that. The burning may be from either the motherboard, video card, or power supply most likely.
     
  3. almcneil

    almcneil TS Guru Posts: 1,277

    The <SNAP!> and burning smell may be a bad sign. You may have installed something backwards and blown a capacitor. I remember that from university. Most device connectors are designed so that you cannot incorrectly install something but there are always exceptions. Another possibility is the PSU exceed the specs on your MoBo.

    unfortunately, there's not much you can do at this point. You need some hardware tools like a PSU tesster and spare MoBo to figure out what is good and what is toast. I'd recommend taking to the store and have the tech figure it out. unless you can get your hands on a PSU tester and spare MoBo, video card, ...

    -- Andy
     
  4. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

    Replace you blown PowerSupply

    Note: There is no reason to test it !
    In future do not change that switch to the incorrect setting (you probably know this now!)
     
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add New Comment

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...