System32 files problem!! Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here it is....I have 2 hard drives G: drive and C: drive; both have the same OS installed from the same install cd, XP PRO. C: drive works just fine but G: on the other hand won't start windows. Gives me an error message stateing that HAL.DLL needs to be replaced as it is missing or corrupt.
I thought I would try and do a repair install and that did not work as the setup could not see OS on drive G:. Now what to do....well in my wisdom I thought I would boot into C: and then compare the two system32 folders as I could still see all files on G:. surprise surprise...not only was the HAL.Dll missing!!!! most of the system32 files were gone. Think this was caused by triing to do the repair install...my guess....Anyway my question is this...Can I replace system32 files that are missing from G: with the ones from C:? Or am I SOL and need to do a fresh install after I backup files I want to keep?

Thanks

Asus P4C-800 deluxe
Intel Pentium4 3GHZ
ATIx800 pro
Audigy 2 Platinum
1 gig DDR

"I have 2 hard drives G: drive and C: drive; both have the same OS installed from the same install cd, XP PRO."

This makes no sence! Why 2 drives with the same OS installed in the same system. Format the G drive and use it to store, not to run C's OS

Thanks Tmagic650, that is exactly what I did...I did not install like that, the people where I bought the computer did after a hard drive crash, caused by ATI software. I started to think a bit and thought "why" my self. Got the situation under control now only one OS and two hard drives all working supurb. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back