Systemboard/motherboard faliure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i have a sony vgn fs830/w. 2 days ago whilst i was using it it just stopped and lost all power, it wont switch back on or show any signs of life. i took it to a shop and the guy said he thinks its the motherboard and if that is the case my laptop is irrepairable as i had it shipped to the uk from the usa and the parts are not available here. i cannot find any info on the net about what actually happens when this fault occurs. i have to be honest im not good with computers and im just a single mum trying to put myself through uni and am worried the guy in the shop is trying to rip me off as he said he would buy the whole thing for £50 if he couldnt fix it. ive looked on ebay and the parts do go for a lot more than that so im concerned he is trying to pull a fast one. could anyone offer any advice or explain to me what happens when the board breaks, thanks for reading this steph xx

1.73 GHz Intel Pentium M 740 CPU, 533 MHz front side bus, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 graphics controller (128 MB shared memory)
512 MB PC2-4200 533 MHz RAM, 80 GB hard drive, double layer CD-RW/DVD-RW optical drive
3 USB 2.0, 1 FireWire, Memory Stick media slot
802.11b/g wireless, 10/100 Mbps network interface, 56K modem
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Works 8.5, Intuit Quicken 2005 New User Edition, Sony VAIO Zone

not sure if thats what you mean. i copy and pasted that from a website. sorry i a know absolutley nothing about computers!! thanks

yes they are the computer specs....

Please could you give me the model number for your Motherboard... It should be located in or near the centre of your motherboard.. Have you got someone who can check for you?

Because if you can get the make and model of the motherboard then i might be able find you one which would save you buying a new computer... Also you might have important data on your hard drive?

And are those specs for your computer?

Regards Jase

By the way Welcome to techspot I hope you enjoy your stay with us.. Please post problems in the correct forums.

Thanks

ive actually left the laptop with the shop until monday so he could look at it over the weekend because he is getting my data for me as i have an exam peice for uni on there that needs to be sent next week!!. but i will ask him for the number you want then and message you if thats ok. i really appreciate your help as i bought refurbished from america and ive only had it 5 months! i will get back to you on monday evening. thanks so much x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back