Sytem thinks my dvdrw drive is a cdrw drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi my hl-dt-st DVDRRW GWA-4164B is read as a cd-rw drive so i cant burn dvds i can burn cds, but it dose read dvd and playes them just wont recongnise dvd-r dvd+r dvd+rw, it say pleas in sert a blank dvd
but they are blank im useing tdk meadia

also i did have itunes once but i rebooted windows

thanks

What DVD burning software have you installed? Windows has the built in capability to burn Cd's it does not however have the ability to burn DVD's. you must have some kind of third party DVD burning software installed to burn DVD's

1 would be the slave position since almost ALL DVD Burners come jumperd as master did you change the jumper setting to slave?

Hi,

im having similar problems with this drive which i have, except my drive wont read or write normal CD-R's, or RW's for that matter which it originally did when i 1st got my PC.

is there any driver or firmware which may fix this problem? or does anything in particular effect this sort of thing?

im stuck with what to do, ive re-installed windows once which didnt help atall. i know its not the best of drives by all means it burns DVD's at low speeds but atleast it burns them. i just dont understand this so any help will be appreciated ;)

Thanks, Lee

If it is an older burner then it is likely that the Cd laser has died. But the DVD laser is still working. that is why you can still burn DVD's. if that is the case there is no fix except a new burner.

Thanks for that, thats most likely the problem. And to be honest i didnt realise that there was two lasers..

Anyways, i think a new and decent burner is in order here, thanks once again for the info ;)

Glad to help and now is a good time for a new burner, they are faster and as cheap as they are ever going to get.

And welcome to techspot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back