T&l graphics compatibility

I just got fallout 3 for pc and I ran it and it said I needed this t&l thing, I have windows xp

I found out it is a graphics card thing and I might need a new one
my questions :
do I need a new graphics card and if so where do I buy one that is not going to break the bank but is good?

I have windows xp

You might need a new graphics card but how can anyone say unless you tell us what card you have now?

As to a potential new card, it would help to know what your current PC specifications are. Sometimes a PC's specs are so low it isn't worth it to just buy a new graphics card. Also, you could need a new power supply to power the new card although that depends on what card you get and what PSU you have now.

I have a Dell inspiron 3000 running windows xp

Looks like that comes with a 250W Power Supply Unit(PSU). Not sure many modern powerful graphics cards would run on it. It also looks like the machine uses onboard graphics (Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2)

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/dim3000/en/SM/specs.htm

Also it only has PCI slots, while most graphics cards now use PCI-Express, and slightly older ones use AGP slots. That will limit your choice of cards, but also have to check that the PSU is powerful enough to run any PCI graphics card you can find.

Best option is probably a Nvidia 9500 GT 512mb, although they are quite expensive for the performance level. Mostly due to PCI graphics cards being old technology so less are available now.

Also it states:
System Requirements
Minimum 350W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 18A)
So you would most likely have to put a more powerful PSU into the computer as well. Not sure overall how much better the 9500 GT would be in that machine, would be a reasonable increase but at $70 for an old technology card and maybe about $50 for a 350W+ PSU you would be better saving up for a new computer in my opinion, or investing the $120 in a console and getting Fallout 3 for it.

Back