T-Mobile announces free Wi-Fi calling and texting, Personal Cell Spot at Uncarrier 7.0 event

By Shawn Knight
Sep 10, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Between hurling jabs at rivals AT&T, Sprint and Verizon, outspoken T-Mobile CEO John Legere on Wednesday announced the latest phase in his company's Uncarrier initiative. The nation's fourth largest wireless carrier's (soon to be third according to Legere) latest move...

Read more
  2. tonylukac

tonylukac TS Evangelist Posts: 1,291   +55

Big deal for free wifi calling. Their plans are usually unlimited calling anyway.
  3. abysal

abysal TS Booster Posts: 106   +37

True, but WiFi calling will help where there's little to no cell signal.
    TadMSTR likes this.
  4. Free wifi calling is an easy way for them to expand their network with less cost of building infrastructure. Now, if you don't have signal, all you would need would be to find a place with free wifi, which isn't too difficult in today's world.
  5. RustyTech

RustyTech TS Guru Posts: 812   +382

I like how you're paying T-Mobile to use someone else's internet, perhaps even your own when at the house?
  6. abysal

abysal TS Booster Posts: 106   +37

Yeah it is a bit crummy. Their cell service isn't as good as AT&T or Verizon. But it's good enough. With TMO I can also tether, and I essentially have unlimited data, just no LTE/HSPA+ after you go over your payed for LTE allocation. With ATT and Verizon you were SOL for both unless you pay a lot more. Still I think cell carries have further to go to stop fleecing it's customers.
  7. amstech

amstech TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 1,436   +590

Any waves that rock Verizon's boat are okay with me.
  8. Teko03

Teko03 TS Maniac Posts: 300   +102

I'm a long time T-Mobile subscriber and a big fan of the uncarrier movement, but this is pathetic. WiFi calling is nothing new, I use it daily at home, not because if poor service, but because I have an old 500 minute Value Plan. WiFi calling has awlays been about limited minutes more so than poor reception. But with all plans being unlimited talk I suppose T-Mobile figured they would re-market and old thing, release an "optimized" WiFi router and capitalize off of the fact that the iPhone 6 supports WiFi calling...finally.
  9. Frank Barnett

Frank Barnett TS Rookie Posts: 61   +6

Everyday they are making sh!t up to sound like they are a player.
  10. Eideard

Eideard TS Rookie

We're 3 miles from the nearest cell tower and still receive mediocre comm with any carrier. Far enough below the brow of the valley. Cell Spot offers a solution no one else offers.
  11. mctommy

mctommy TS Booster Posts: 187   +30

It's all about free rent on a $200 router with a $25 deposit.

Just because you are 3 miles from the cell tower doesn't mean that you should have good cell coverage.

Have you checked that the carrier in question has equipment on it? Typical US cell towers have 3 rads on their tower allowing for 3 sets of equipment. Sometimes there are carriers that occupies 2 of the 3, leaving you with 1 more carrier. So in the end, that tower may have equipment from 2 carriers and not all 4.