TechSpot

T-Mobile LTE network goes live, iPhone 5 arriving next month

By Jos
Mar 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. T-Mobile rolled out its new no-contract plans without much fanfare over the weekend, with prices starting at $50 for unlimited minutes, unlimited text messages and 500MB of unthrottled data. But the company saved a few surprises for today’s “Uncarrier” event...

Read more

2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,676   +1,062

This sounds almost too good to be true... no annual contract for the plan, savings of like $50/month per line over the other carriers. I just hope my city gets 4G coverage... before 2018.

Here's a question... on T-mobile's site it says you can use your current phone so long as it takes a SIM card (like if it's from AT&T I think). So what's to stop someone from signing up with AT&T, getting a new phone for $199, breaking the contract and paying another $200 and bringing the phone over to T-Mobile? You'd still be saving $180 on the total phone cost, and getting to use T-Mobile's cheaper rates.

3. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

The ETF or Early Termination Fee. For most handsets on ATT that are not smartphones its roughly 200 bucks. But smartphones ETF runs about 350$. So they really wouldnt be saving anything. Its even worse if a customer tries to circumvent the carriers because they will attempt to go after either the ETF the phone returned or both. There was a case where someone did what you suggested. They did it with 5 smartphones. It didnt end well for that person. Plus your credit is hit when this event happends. So trying to save a couple hundred bucks ends up effecting you for about 7 years.

4. Mbloof

Mbloof TS Rookie Posts: 56   +7

Maybe just maybe if all the national carriers have LTE systems they will enact free roaming agreements? Naww.....