T-Mobile LTE network goes live, iPhone 5 arriving next month

By Jos
Mar 26, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. T-Mobile rolled out its new no-contract plans without much fanfare over the weekend, with prices starting at $50 for unlimited minutes, unlimited text messages and 500MB of unthrottled data. But the company saved a few surprises for today’s “Uncarrier” event...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 2,020   +683

This sounds almost too good to be true... no annual contract for the plan, savings of like $50/month per line over the other carriers. I just hope my city gets 4G coverage... before 2018.

Here's a question... on T-mobile's site it says you can use your current phone so long as it takes a SIM card (like if it's from AT&T I think). So what's to stop someone from signing up with AT&T, getting a new phone for $199, breaking the contract and paying another $200 and bringing the phone over to T-Mobile? You'd still be saving $180 on the total phone cost, and getting to use T-Mobile's cheaper rates.
  3. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

The ETF or Early Termination Fee. For most handsets on ATT that are not smartphones its roughly 200 bucks. But smartphones ETF runs about 350$. So they really wouldnt be saving anything. Its even worse if a customer tries to circumvent the carriers because they will attempt to go after either the ETF the phone returned or both. There was a case where someone did what you suggested. They did it with 5 smartphones. It didnt end well for that person. Plus your credit is hit when this event happends. So trying to save a couple hundred bucks ends up effecting you for about 7 years.
  4. Mbloof

Mbloof Newcomer, in training Posts: 52   +6

Maybe just maybe if all the national carriers have LTE systems they will enact free roaming agreements? Naww.....

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.