Tablets of 2011: What to Look For (Updated)

For the HP tablet, no 3G is listed for wireless connectivity but it is listed under GPS.
Thanks for the guide update.

They have announced a 3G model but the July launch will only include Wi-Fi.

Guest said:
You can do HDMI on the Galaxy Tab with an extra cable, too.

I've updated the table to reflect this, thanks for the feedback.

Also, the ASUS Transformer has gotten the Honeycomb 3.1 update as of the beginning of June, albeit an over the air update. However, I still think that it should be listed as 3.1.

the iconia is 32gb not 16gb. how i know that ? i own it! so change the specs for it.

I really don't see the point in people fawning over tablets.

It looks great on Star Trek but that is about it.

Blowing 500 to 800 on a tablet is a terrible waste of money.

Rather get a carry bag for your 50 million inch LCD ?

I really don't see the point in people fawning over tablets.

It looks great on Star Trek but that is about it.

Blowing 500 to 800 on a tablet is a terrible waste of money.

Rather get a carry bag for your 50 million inch LCD ?

So I take it that you do not have a mobile (Post Stat Trek - beam me up Scotty). Mobiles will evolve to become a full communication device that will have all the flavors of a desktop/laptop but will become more mobile with the screen size to bat. I feel that 10" - 11" would be the best for all round activities. The technology is in place already in place, the industry has to come to a standard that is world wide workable. I do not mind making a call on a tablet but I shall follow politeness will in public areas. Plus I can keep tabs on all my activities on the fly.

Some of the bendable/foldable OLED displays that are on the horizon could be used for modifiable size devices. Start with a smart phone size device, then fold it out to tablet size for watching a movie on a flight. Fold it from smart phone size to half the size for putting in a holder to keep track of your running route while out jogging. Only problem is that industry probably won't want one device that does it all. They will continue to spew out novelty form factors covering all and in-between to try and grab their own little niche parts of the market, "Oh ours has a 6.99 inch screen so its more portable than the 100 different 7 inch tablets".

Some of the bendable/foldable OLED displays that are on the horizon could be used for modifiable size devices. Start with a smart phone size device, then fold it out to tablet size for watching a movie on a flight. Fold it from smart phone size to half the size for putting in a holder to keep track of your running route while out jogging. Only problem is that industry probably won't want one device that does it all. They will continue to spew out novelty form factors covering all and in-between to try and grab their own little niche parts of the market, "Oh ours has a 6.99 inch screen so its more portable than the 100 different 7 inch tablets".

They have them already. Philips make such of a device. It is a e-paper. They want to be able to make them for HDTV's that wireless and movable and be placed anywhere you wish, like a picture.

If Samsung is not going to launch the 10.1 3G model in India till August, then I will be force to buy an i-Pad.

tablets will take over the laptop and net-book era sometime soon. it is inevitable at this point and time and yes it is like star trek for this show was the show to show off every kind of new technology to come forth. like the mobile! beam me up scotty!!

Back