TechSpot

Tales from the toolroom - sometimes it is the simplest things

1. I had a call a few months ago which went something like this:
    "Hello"
    "Do you mend computers?" (big voice, possible senior military and retired)
    "Yes, what can I do to help?"
    "Just moved here from the south, plugged it all in and now the damn thing won't work"
    "Not a problem (thinks - money for old rope, this one). Where are you?"
    "In Leicester" (Gives me the address).
    "OK - I will be in Leicester this afternoon so I will call in at about 3 if that is OK?"
    "Fifteen hundred hours - right, I will be here. Cheerio."
    I turn up almost on time and am ushered into a nice sort of study room in a brand new house and I have a look at the desktop PC he has set up. I turn round and walk out of the room and to the front door without saying anything.
    "Oi - where are you going?"
    "Back in a moment" says I, and goes to the car to fetch a kettle cable.
    Watched by the Colonel, I connect the power lead to the PC, check the rest of the cables are where they should be and turn it on - and it all works just fine.
    "Well that was pretty silly of me" he says, "How much do I owe you?"
    "Nothing" I say, "I was almost next door and it was only a power cable and I have buckets of them".
    "Thank you very very much" says the Colonel as he ushers me off the premises, "Are you sure I don't owe you anything?"
    "Not at all" I say, kicking myself.
    In the event it was the right thing to do as a few weeks ago the Colonel phoned and orderd a new high spec system, a decent multifunction printer and asked for help setting up his wireless router.
    Sometimes these things take time to come home to roost!

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,979   +362

I'm sure he appreciated not being laughed at and being treated with respect too. You could also wind up with a referral or two later.

3. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 2,026

Thats true - in fact I get more new clients by recommendation than from advertising.

4. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Yes, word of mouth is the best. My brother is a contractor and he has such a great reputationj for honesty and superior work he hasn't had to advertise for years. What goes around comes around.