TechSpot

Tales from the toolroom - Windows updates

By AlbertLionheart
Nov 19, 2009
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. For many of us the windows update process is one we allow to run unhindered, and I am by and large content to let it happen providing the process does not intrude into my occasionally frantic workload.
    I was a bit surprised to find the PC had suddenly gone snail-like and apps would not respond properly, gradually getting worse until a message telling me I had run out of memory popped up. A quick scrute at the task manager showed that that ghastly program I love to hate called ACT! had grabbed all the memory and was not letting go of it. I restarted and watched the PF usage graph go up a notch every 30 secs or so until it all stopped with a memory shortage message again.
    The ACT! program itself had not had an update (it appears they don't do updates if there is a new edition available - that's fine if you have the new OS to go with it but not so hot if not) so I had a shufti at the windows updates history and found an update for SQL server had been applied at the last shutdown. So I restored the thing back to before the update and everything started working as normal - well nearly everything as ACT! now occasionally fails to load the contact database properly.
    Moral - don't use ACT! as contact management software and don't assume that just because it comes from Microsoft it is going to work properly!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.