Tales from toolroom - noisy PSU

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlbertLionheart

Not noise in the usual sense, but radio noise.
A system I supplied about 6 months ago has worked perfectly (as mine all do!) and was still apparently innocent of any sin until a radio ham next door complained about excessive radio interference between 7mhz and 28mhz, and had triangulated the source to my machine.
I fitted a replacement PSU and the noise disappeared at once - and I then tested it by connecting a PSU tester to it and reconnecting it right next to the short wave receiver. Fault confirmed.
The whinger then pointed out that his wife was a JP and clearly expected me to run away - not so because I then asked him to pay for the repair on the grounds that his radio equipment might be faulty.
We agreed that I would pass it to the local Trading Standards office for them to check if it conforms to permitted emissions.
We will see!

Not an uncommon problem. Your power supply will be found at fault, most likely.
We have found that a great number of power supplies have fake UL and other clearance codes.
As a broadcast engineer, I can tell you that it is rare that an approved design will cause any interference...
I don't know of any tester that will find such a fault, unless you use some pretty good equipment costing $300 on up...
Bottom line: Regulations say you cannot cause intereference to a radio signal. If your equipment is bad, you will be asked to do something about it.

I think it's probably because of sub-par filtering; the caps are probably failing and causing harmonics to leak out.

It is almost certainly the filters - I have a suspicion that they are not there at all as I think I can see the vacant joints for them! I am not going to take off the warranty stickers yet though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back