Task Manager error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhot86

ight, so my pc is being a bit weird. When I open task manager I can view only the applications tag. When I click on processes, I receive an error message, TaskManager has encountered an error and needs to close. Once I click it everything becomes very slow. So I did restore last known good configuration and it fixed the error so it doesnt close. But now when I open SuperAntiSpyware or CCleaner and exit after use, I have SuperAntiSpyware.exe or CCleaner.exe still running and need to manually close them. Is there some type of restriction on Task Manager that they cant close correctly or is it some Windows file missing or error.

This is on a Windows XP Prof SP-2, and SpywareTerminator, AntiVir, Spybot and Adaware come up clean logs and HiJackThis doesnt look odd at all. BTW, ran ScanDisk and it didnt find any errors.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 11:41:16 AM, on 3/26/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16608)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Comodo\CBOClean\BOC425.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\CBOClean\BOCORE.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page =
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avgnt.exe" /min
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BOC-425] C:\PROGRA~1\Comodo\CBOClean\BOC425.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Firewall Pro] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cfp.exe" -h
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_04\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O16 - DPF: {56762DEC-6B0D-4AB4-A8AD-989993B5D08B} (OnlineScanner Control) -
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) -
O16 - DPF: {A93D84FD-641F-43AE-B963-E6FA84BE7FE7} (LinkSys Content Update) -
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\WINDOWS\system32\guard32.dll
O23 - Service: a-squared Free Service (a2free) - Emsi Software GmbH - C:\Program Files\a-squared Free\a2service.exe
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Scheduler (AntiVirScheduler) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\sched.exe
O23 - Service: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avguard.exe
O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
O23 - Service: BOCore - COMODO - C:\Program Files\Comodo\CBOClean\BOCORE.exe
O23 - Service: COMODO Firewall Pro Helper Service (cmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: PD91Agent - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PD91Agent.exe
O23 - Service: PD91Engine - Raxco Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Raxco\PerfectDisk\PD91Engine.exe
O23 - Service: Spyware Terminator Realtime Shield Service (sp_rssrv) - Crawler.com - C:\Program Files\Spyware Terminator\sp_rsser.exe

To what im seeing everything looks clean, thats why im wondering why task manager is being funky. Had to modify the websites out next to some of the -, since I only have 1 post

no idea huh? the log is clean, just not sure y task manager is acting up and not letting programs fully close

Try this,

Download to your Desktop this self-extracting ZIP archive FixPolicies.exe
  • Double-click FixPolicies.exe
  • Click the Install button on the bottom toolbar of the box that will open.
  • The program will create a new Folder called FixPolicies
  • Double-click to Open the new Folder, and then double-click the file named Fix_Policies.cmd
  • A black box will briefly appear and then close. This will enable your Control Panel, Task Manager and stop any Administrative warnings.

Is this the same as Dial-a-fix, when you checked the Policies. Cause I did that and it looked for Restrictive policies: Out of 142 detectable policies (1704 queries), no restrictive policies were found.

Have you tried doing a double click in an empty area of the Task Manager? This restores it frequently.

its not an issue with seeing the task manager it was an issue with it holding processes when they should have closed properly

So some processes are hanging? You can highlight, then End Task. You can also identify those processes and if they are on the Startup tab, uncheck so as not to start when you boot and run in the background.

Stop:
All the processes in the 09 category- especially the REFIEBAR.DLL> refiebar.dll is a module which allows you to use the Microsoft Office Research Library and its collection of information services from Microsoft Internet Explorer
The 3 '016' processes are all for Active X content. Disable what you don't need running in the background.

You also run multiple spyware/adware programs and this is good. But you may want to look into what is running in Real Time. If there is more than one at a time, this has a potential for conflict.

I know whats starting up and not, what troubles me is say I open SuperAntiSpyware, run the update and a scan and close like normal, the process SuperAntiSpyware.exe stays running even after I completely closed it, same when I run CCleaner, it will stay open after I X it out, process CCleaner.exe will remain in processes and if I dont end them manually then when i try to run other programs it delays them like hanging. Once they get ended everything is back to normal

Then the programs are either set to run all the time an/or start every time you boot. I don't use either of those programs so I can't check their settings. I suggest you open each program and check all their settings.

They arent autostarting cause I have had the settings checked by SAS forums and they said that should keep SuperAntiSpyware from starting up automatically and have it immediately close when you close from the tray icon. As for CCleaner, its a program to clean up temporary files, internet files, etc. It doesnt autostart on system boot, I only have 4 programs listed to start other.

You arent understanding me, its not that they startup when I turn on the pc, I can restart it and everything is fine, its just once I open to run the program and then exit and its fully close. It happens with other applications as well, not just the 2 im talking about, those are just the 1s I use often.

>_< I dont get the task manager error needs to close anymore, I just get applications hanging/staying open after they have been closed. As if you were playing solitaire and your finished now you either hit the X or go file - close. Instead of it closing you still have sol.exe process remaining in task manager.

yes, the pc is clean. I scanned with my AntiVir, and did a online scan with NOD32, Kaspersky, and BitDefender. They all came up clean, it seemed like Task Manager was holding the stuff from exiting correctly. That's why I was wondering if there is some type of error with 1 of the XP files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back