Task manager has disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. Firstly I have read every post on this forum about this forum and googled away but I'm getting no answers.

Firstly I was not sure to put this here so sorry about tht.

Ok, I was have been using xp with no problems. I use nod 32 and windows defender to stop the viruses. So all good.
Yesterday I wanted to give linux a go. So went for Ubuntu 8.10 and downloaded the free file.

Partitioned my drive with magic and now have 426 gb on the c drive for my windows os and 40 gb on e drive for the linux.

All good I can use one or the other when I turn my machine on :D

But, task manager in windows has disappeared ctrl alt delete pressed and nothing.
Click task bar and task manger and nothing.
And even in start run and typed Taskmgr and nothing

And I don't have dllcache\taskman.exe in my folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\taskman.exe

Searched for the file and nothing. Can someone help or do have to reinstall windows again.

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

How about taskmgr.exe ?

edit: in any event, you likely have bad guys - go through the 8 step malware removal process pdq - gl

Here are the standard Xp locations of Taskmgr.exe

C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386\taskmgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$\taskmgr.exe

If running any of these does not work try each (or any one) of these options, restart and test again:

What to do about Task Manager problems

Task Manager Repair: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/TaskManager_Reset.reg

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Taskmanager_error.htm

Download RatsCheddar, and tick all fields

Start -> Run -> SFC /ScanNow (you will need your Windows CD, no Data will be lost)

UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Please let me know which one worked :)

Thanks kimsland and CCT. Gave them all a try. I think when I partitioned my drive the file might of got lost.

Just bad luck for me.

So I backed my files up and installed xp again on my c drive and now all is good.

It only took me an hour to get it all back so no harm done and gave my computer a nice breather as well.

Thanks anyway

benbear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back