TechSpot

Task Manager not working on my laptop

By sreeni36
Sep 15, 2009
  1. HI All

When i try to open Task Manager on my laptop I am getting an error msg

Task Manager is disabled by the administrator.

Can some one please advise on how to rectify this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Sreeni

2. Jawshh

Jawshh TS Enthusiast Posts: 392

3. ComputerGuy55

ComputerGuy55 TS Maniac Posts: 380   +8

There's a solution to fixing this problem, but requires you to edit the registry. If you are comfortable doing this then follow this link: http://antivirus.about.com/od/windowsbasics/ht/taskmanager.htm It is probably the cause of a virus and once you get this fixed you need to follow the first replied post.

4. sreeni36

sreeni36 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi

tried to run the registry but tht is alsoi disabled what do i do now?

sreeni

5. Jawshh

Seems like you didn't do the 8 steps. Please do that before asking for support.

6. Jawshh

Its not wise to fix the problem before actually removing the virus.

7. ComputerGuy55

If he needed task manager to do anything specific while trying to remove virus's/help his situation thats all I suggested.. I've had a virus like this before, it disabled task manager, some that disable anti virus's. Sometimes theres a few things to do before you can erase them. None the less it was just a suggestion to how to get it working. You posted on how to remove, I thought that might be covered.

8. Jawshh

I was aware of that before posting.He won't need it. BTW I was not complaining about your post :D

i hope you have already read http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic120350.html If you havent yet, read it.

9. ComputerGuy55

Lol I know, Just thought I'd comment on his asked question. Sorry for stepping out of line/Not following the guidelines. Do as Jawshh says.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.