TechSpot

TDK starts mass production of transparent organic displays

By Emil
Jun 1, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. TDK has started mass production of a newly developed see-through passive matrix Quarter Video Graphics Array (QVGA) organic electroluminescent (EL) display, primarily aimed at mobile phones and other mobile electronic…

Read the whole story

2. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TS Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

Why do I want a display that is going to be HARDER to see when I am texting or watching video content? Unless they are giving me my glasses with appropriate HUD that somehow are able to be in focus, this seems like a waste in its current implementation.

Sigh…

3. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Enthusiast Posts: 417   +40

That is cool... but why would I want a transparent display. I think after the first week of the "ooooohhh" and "aaahhhh" factor it will then become pointless and annoying. Now if there would be a way to adjust the level of opacity, then I can see it being useful. For most situations you would use full opacity, but occasionally you may find it useful to use partial transparency.

PinothyJ made an interesting point though, using this for a HUD in a vehicle or aircraft could have a lot of advantages. A full color display instead of the common mono HUD's. Maybe soon the days of an instrument panel would be ancient history, and our tach and speed would be displayed directly on the windscreen, with... wait for it, adjustable opacity setting. I'd be sold on that one...

4. Hasbean

Hasbean TS Rookie Posts: 65   +12

I believe Apple is keen on utilising it in their soon to be released version 8. There are some apps already in the wings. There's the iEar, where passers-by get to look at an augmented reality earring for those rather fetching girly boys, and wax build-up viewer for them menly men. There's also an accessory, the iBlock which clips onto the back and front of the transparent display to give extra special privacy, so you don't endup looking like their latest iPrick.

5. Burned

Burned TS Rookie

It would be great for all those people you see walking around with their head down while texting.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.