Tech Tip: Enable Concurrent Desktop Sessions in Windows

I hope the author realizes that by enabling this "hack" he's actually breaching his Windows license agreement, and thus creating an illegal copy/installation of Windows on his machine. Better than that, he's practically recommends doing the same to others.

I have a couple of PCs, the main one I'm using now runs Windows 7 Ultimate, and downstairs
a PC running Windows XP Media Centre Edition ... so I expected there to be no problems.

<=> I ran the patch as Administrator on the WXP MCE machine, and rebooted as prompted.
<=> After waiting for reboot cycle to be completed I logged on to that machine as normal.
<=> Came upstairs to this W7Ult machine, and RDC'd into the WXP MCE machine.
<=> Went back downstairs to find it had dropped back to the WXP logon screen.
<=> Logged back on to the WXP MCE PC and returned upstairs to this PC.
<=> W7Ult says "Remote Desktop session has ended." . . .

So basically ... the patch doesn't work.

"For example, if you have a dedicated Media Center PC running in the living room, you'll be able to remotely access all files on the machine without interrupting the person watching TV."

Exactly how I use it with this hack.

"I hope the author realizes that by enabling this "hack" he's actually breaching his Windows license agreement, and thus creating an illegal copy/installation of Windows on his machine. Better than that, he's practically recommends doing the same to others"

And I hope you realise introducing ridiculous artificial restrictions and draconian licensing is why people hate the record and movie industries. Microsoft has done well to embrace the open hardware platform and allow great flexibility in their software platform.

Ask Steve Gibson from Gibson Research if he would ever recommend 'patching' a critical Windows DLL file. Not a good idea at all from a security perspective I'm sure.

Is it possible to increase the limit on Windows Server editions from the normal maximum of 2 concurrent users without a terminal server license too?

The keyboard looks to be an Optimus Maximus, they are ~$2k IIRC

Great tip. I've been using this for the last several versions of Windows thanks to these guys guide - http://www.missingremote.com/guide/how-enable-concurrent-sessions-windows-7-service-pack-1-rtm

Been doing this since the Windows XP days, should be a default feature of the Pro / Ultimate version of Windows.

I hope the author realizes that by enabling this "hack" he's actually breaching his Windows license agreement, and thus creating an illegal copy/installation of Windows on his machine. Better than that, he's practically recommends doing the same to others.
the article plainly states
"This is not a technical limitation but rather a licensing one." so your comment is fact; this is hack that breaks the terms of the EULA. :blackeye:

How can we be certain that the author of the patch has not installed his own backdoor, now allowing him full access to all patched systems?

This patch *must* modify the termserv DLL by either reverse engineering it or replacing it with Windows Server version. Either method most certainly breaks intellectual property / copyright laws.

Truth be told, the responsibility falls upon the developer, but I was surprised to see this here.

Per Hansson said:
Is it possible to increase the limit on Windows Server editions from the normal maximum of 2 concurrent users without a terminal server license too?
I have not tried this, but I read by using the termsrv.dll from Windows Server Enterprise (not Standard or Business edition... Data Center would probably work too) and modifying the policy options under Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Remote Desktop/ Terminal services.

If you're running Windows home and don't have gpedit, there is a registry equivalent, but I do not remember where to find it.

As noted on the article, Windows Server has this feature enabled by default (with a limitation in terms of number of users). What this hack accomplishes is to enable the feature in client versions of Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

Microsoft supports SOPA, therefore everyone should be boycotting and sharing their stuff.

Also US law doesn't govern the globe.

If you need to share the desktop with someone why not just use Remote Assistance? Once you get the user's permission you can control/share their desktop legally.

This would work brilliantly at work if it didn't conflict with the EULA. To be able to log in remotely to a local admin desktop session to carry out tasks while the user is still logged in to the machine would save us so much money in wasted time as our users have a tendency to leave themselves logged in with the screen locked. To be able to still remote to the machine.. dream!

Still, can't use it. Breaks licencing. Bummer..

Guest said:
If you need to share the desktop with someone why not just use Remote Assistance? Once you get the user's permission you can control/share their desktop legally.

Remote assistance shares the desktop with the user. Being able to actually log in as admin means you could explore the setup of the machine as if logged in while the user still continues to work. Remote assistance means they have to stop what they are doing while you use their desktop. It also doesn't help if they have left the machine logged on and screen locked. You can't do anything without kicking them off.

I know a number of mmc snapins work remotely but once you remote desktop to a machine then you can do absolutely anything which in some cases would be just awesome.

I would love for all the sticklers to actually point out WHERE you are violating licensing. You're editing a DLL, not avoiding activation. By your same logic, everyone who has patched their UXTheme.dll to use custom windows themes are also pirates.

I would love for all the sticklers to actually point out WHERE you are violating licensing.

First, the concurrent use of RDP is expressly prohibited:
NetMeeting/Remote Assistance/Remote Desktop Features. The Product contains NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop technologies that enable the Product or other applications installed on the Workstation Computer to be used remotely between two or more computers, even if the Product or application is installed on only one Workstation Computer. You may use NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, and Remote Desktop with all Microsoft products; provided however, use of these technologies with certain Microsoft products may require an additional license. For Microsoft and non- Microsoft products, you should consult the license agreement accompanying the applicable product or contact the applicable licensor to determine whether use of NetMeeting, Remote Assistance, or Remote Desktop is permitted without an additional license.

You're editing a DLL, not avoiding activation. By your same logic, everyone who has patched their UXTheme.dll to use custom windows themes are also pirates.
Secondly, that DLL "patch" required reverse engineering OR distribution of the original DLL (which is not yours to distribute, it is Microsoft's IP). It isn't some bit of novel programming and a registry change that allows Windows to have concurrent sessions of RDP, rather, it uses Microsoft's own technology, protocols etc...

LIMITATION ON REVERSE ENGINEERING, DECOMPILATION, AND DISASSEMBLY. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the Product, except and only to the extent that it is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.

Microsoft licensing isn't designed to be fair, it's designed to extract the maximum amount of profit. Which is why any power-user worth his salt will already know about the patcher and have made up their own minds to simply accept the small possibility of any consequences of breaching the EULA.

Back