Tech Tip: How to Change the Start Screen Background in Windows 8

Jos

Staff
Read the full article at:
[newwindow=https://www.techspot.com/guides/598-change-start-screen-background-windows8/]https://www.techspot.com/guides/598-change-start-screen-background-windows8/[/newwindow]

Please leave your feedback here.

Is it possible to change the background colour in Windows Explorer of Windows 8?

Great tip. I was planning for an anaglyphic background for a change now that I switched for a 23" LED Monitor.

Correct me but I think you need to do Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task Manager...
Editor's note: That is correct. Thank you.

5$ for something what we can do on own hand, all what we need is Restorator (trial) or ResHacker (free), open imageres.dll, replace Win 8 default backgrounds and that it is (need to take ownership on file first) :)

There's probably a reason behind why they restrict custom wallpapers so, and part of it has probably got to do with the fact that the ones they provide are designed to colour themselves to reflect the colour scheme you've selected.

A custom picture obviously isn't going to do that. Whether you care or not is not the point. That's the way they've designed it, that's possibly why they restrict it.

There's probably a reason behind why they restrict custom wallpapers so, and part of it has probably got to do with the fact that the ones they provide are designed to colour themselves to reflect the colour scheme you've selected.

A custom picture obviously isn't going to do that. Whether you care or not is not the point. That's the way they've designed it, that's possibly why they restrict it.

Evidently you haven't read up on what Decor8 can do. It automatically adjust the colors itself to fit the wallpaper or you can make your own choices there. It really is quite an effective tool and Microsoft could have easily have provided this functionality.

Thanks for posting. I will wait for a free solution, though. I rarely see the start screen and when I do it's not for very long. I'd absolutely like to change the background, but it's not biggie.

It's April fools day, right? You seriously have to devote an entire article to explain how to change the wallpaper background in Windows 8? LOL. With each passing day I love Windows 7 more and more. Wow! :)

Jose Vitches said:
"Acknowledged by some as a bold step into the tablet market, and criticized by many others who prefer the familiar desktop experience, the new 'Modern UI Style' home is here to stay."

Hey Jose,

Can you please tell me where you buy your crystal balls? I wanna have the ability to see the future as you are apparently capable of doing. You are at least the 3rd person who appears to have this capability to predict the future of Microsoft's Windows operating systems. Tell me Jose, what other features will remain and which features currently in Windows 8 will be removed in Windows 9. Please predict this for us all Jose.

I always thought that what features the consumer actually "wanted" in a product they bought determined whether or not the company continued to offer those features in a future product.

Windows Media Center is absent from Windows 8 and it's actually something people wanted. I despise the Metro UI( and yes that is the name of the Windows 8 UI , METRO), also known as, the romper room interface for preschool children. Of course, Microsoft doesn't let consumer demand ever get in the way of anything they offer. That would just be kind of silly of them. :)

Thank you Jose for sharing the future with me. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that the Metro UI is here to stay.

It's disappointing you have to install a program just to change a background image >_>

Not dumbed down at all...

Yeah I'm skipping this version of windows. Millennium, Vista, and now Metro, I'll wait to see what windows 9 brings to the table.

You really need to look into the advantages of windows 8, it's way way way faster. Also a much better user experience in my opinion and I use to be a die hard windows 7 fan. People are spoiled brats and can't bother to learn anything new because they're fat lazy slobs. Take the literally two minutes to understand how it works, install classic shell (for those who really need the start menu) and read up online on how to do whatever it is you need to do. If you're not into customizing windows, maybe you should be using a mac? Stop complaining already.

Microsoft can't really be this ****ing anal when it comes to including an option to customize menu backgrounds can they? I mean WTF Billy G!? Take your head out of your *** so you can hear me.... "Not everyone is running PC's on battery power!" mmmk.

Yeah I'm skipping this version of windows. Millennium, Vista, and now Metro, I'll wait to see what windows 9 brings to the table.
I wouldn't hold my breath. Look at the new update structure they have in play.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Look at the new update structure they have in play.
P.S. Windows "Blue" is not NeXWin but rather just a huge update.
P.S.S. The cake is still a lie. ;)

They should call the next version of Windows "Shutters" and shut them for good. lol Have an update called "Curtains" and close them too.

The Kinect should have also been called Microsoft "Eyes and Ears".

I also had the demo for longer than 30 days. About two to four days after it said it expired it finally turned it off and brought me to the screen telling me to buy it. I loved its capability. If you want to customize the start screen this app is incredible and will definitely do it for you.

Also, all the people who are mad at windows eight really need to take a chill pill. It is a great OS just different from what people are used to. I understand that it has its problems, but man is it fun to use once you figure it out. People are just lazy and don't want to explore something new.

That is my two cents. Take 'em or leave 'em it is up to you. Ciao!

Back