Tech Tip of the Week: How to Disable Avira Antivir's Pop-up Advertisements

In the past what I did to get around this problem, was to create a program that would automaticaly check for and delete both the avnotify.exe and avnotify.dll files. I worked well except for the error message I would get when Avira attempts to execute the files.

Run RegEdit
Navigate to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
In the right pane double-click avgnt and remove "Min" and replace with "NS"

This will stop the Avira Splash screen from showing after you logon to Windows
Credit to member Poppa Bear, who first posted this on the forum in 11-02-2008

Great addition Kim.

In Windows 7 that registry key changes to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

A nagging pop-up will probably lead users to uninstall their product & move to something else, I doubt it really increases sales. When I used the paying edition of AVG, at the end of the subscription it would nag me all the time about renewing & all it managed to do was to get me to stop using AVG altogether. That & the fact that with each new update it only got slower.

I was using Avira for a short period of time but changed to Miscrosoft Essentials partly because of that annoying nag screen. Not sure if I would have stayed with it had I know how to turn it off. So far so good with the MS Essentials.

That was the only thing that bothered me at avira. Now I have Premium for 90 days. It is great. I wish I would have found this when I had freeware version.

You skipped few steps for Vista & Win 7. Took me a min or two to figure out whats next after step 2.

Either way, Thanks for the tip.

This is awesome!!! i have been pissed off with Avira once in a while when it pops up and minimise my game window amid a battle or a gank.. gone are those days now.
It's true that nagscreen is a big turn-off. Company should try to get more customers from the attraction of addons in paid products rather than by nagscreens. more often than not they pop up at the wrong time, creating the unfavorable emotional reactions

gadzooks64 said:
I was using Avira for a short period of time but changed to Miscrosoft Essentials partly because of that annoying nag screen. Not sure if I would have stayed with it had I know how to turn it off. So far so good with the MS Essentials.
I also have dumped Avira for WSE. So far it is great and very light on resources. I am about to test Its effectiveness in finding infection. I have an old pc that I purposely got infected just for this purpose. Mbam was able to find over 400 infections......now to see if WSE will find as much.

I don't mean to be the "just get linux" person . . . but hey, it works. I just run windows in a virtual machine, and rarely use it, so I don't worry much about antivi software.

Nice article ... thanks. I am bookmarking this article just in case someone really complains. I really like Avira for older, slower PCs and I convince folks that one nuisance ad per day is worth the free security. Now I have an option if needed.

i use my firewall (online armor) to block the program/file from running.

Online Armor FREE does not include:
* Antivirus and Antimalware
* Rootkit Scanner

Best to stick with free Avira (without Pop-ups ;))

Edit:

oops I missed you point
Oh I see now. You are saying that your online armor is stopping avnotify.exe

Good move to make this a little bit more public.
I always cringe, when I sit at someone elses computer and get all these nag-screens. And when you ask them, why they havent turned them off, they usually look bewildered, like it never occurred to them.

My computer, my rules!

There is another method for Windows Vista and it can not be disabled by future avira updates, but it only works for Vista Ultimate iirc.

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Local Security Policy
There you can add avnotify.exe and don't allow it to start ever.

A better solution might be Microsoft Security Essentials, especially because it has less false-positives...

The pop-up is definitely the only drawback of Avira's free Antivir. With this little tweak though this makes Antivir the best free antivirus out there.

Tks, it works like a charm. It was very annoying and if the PC was mine, I wouldn't even bother to install an AV but it is a PC which is shared at work :(

Btw, the default path of avnotify.exe in Win Pro (x64) is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

Thank you for sharing this tip. I'm using Avira for some months now and these error messages were very annoying.

Once again a nice tip for those using this particular application. However I'm sure the coders and sales staff at Avira won't appreciate it much lol.

Back