Tech Tip: Speed Up Firefox by Loading Tabs On-demand

By Julio Franco
Dec 2, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. There are ways heavy tab users can ease the memory-guzzling effect that their browsing habits can have on their systems – and today we’ll specifically mention two: using the BarTab extension or adding a quick about:config tweak.

This week's tip: Speed Up Firefox by Loading Tabs On-demand
    http://www.techspot.com/guides/341-firefox-load-tabs-on-demand/

Please leave your feedback here.
  2. bakape

bakape TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 123

Doesn't Chrome do this by default already?
  3. What does it matter whether Chrome is doing it already? This is for Firefox.
  4. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 801   +8

Indeed. People are too focused on "yeah, well, my browser already does this" to realize that other browsers can do the same thing if they want. Google did it first...so what. Firefox didn't claim to do it first. They saw how successful it was with Chrome, so now they're doing it. They'd be stupid not too, lol.
  5. Oh good, i might have used firefox more if chrome didn't do it.

Right now, 38 tabs.

I thought it did take a second when visiting a tab that was unopened for a day.
  6. Pffftt...

IE has done it before Chrome, thus way before Firefox.
  7. matrix86

matrix86 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 801   +8

.....and?
  8. and??

FireFox is late in the game by 5 years. Something so simple, should not require an installation of extension.
  9. I don't understand, Is it bad that firefox has done it now?? :/
    And please don't support IE, we all know how good it is..! :)
  10. Thanks for the tip, very usefull for guys like me using =~ 200tabs all the time :D
  11. who in the hell uses Chrome? only fools....google makes their money by tracking you everywhere you go on the net...and they don't give a sh#t about your privacy...

12. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,105   +223

If you're talking about Google Chrome, I have it & I love it. Its the fastest browser I have. Not to mention, NO browser is perfect.:)
  13. Leeky

Leeky TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,378   +98

You could argue the same about Facebook, and how many billions use that? :haha:
  14. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,113   +23

What Browser does? I'm not being difficult; I'd like to know if there really is a browser out there that cares about your privacy and doesn't track you everywhere you go.
  15. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 5,105   +223

Damn good point.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.