TechSpot App?

TheDreams

I've been thinking about a new idea (or so new to me), what if there was a TechSpot app? I know how much I go in to check my notifications out or to post a new topic and I was thinking. What if your sitting at home on the couch and want to post a new topic about say the Razer Edge or something of that sort. Wouldn't you like to not have to get up, power on your PC, then log in. Why not just launch your TechSpot App? I think it would be great for TechSpot to create their own app for the convenience of all users. I know they have a pretty well designed mobile site but I think it would be to their advantage to make their own app. Post your support below and lets see if we can't get a TechSpot App!

It is harder than you think. Someone won't just go out and make an app without profit, it is just too much wasted time. If you have an iPhone you can just add it to your homescreen.

TechSpot has a great mobile version. It's just as good as an app.
Indeed, we have certainly tried to make it a seamless experience and transition from the desktop site. There are a few key improvements we are planning that will particularly cater to logged in users (for example, receiving alerts) and thus make it more obvious that you can still participate and browse the entire site, including the forums, from a smartphone. Tablets still get the full site but adapted to the smaller screen.

With that said, for now we are not planning on developing an app, especially when the mobile site works across the board in any OS while apps are inherently limited to a single platform.

I appreciate the input and I'd love to hear what you believe an app (maybe from other sites?) have that you'd like to see on TechSpot.

I checked out Tapatalk app. TechSpot appears in the search so the API code must be on your servers somewhere, but it doesn't open/load.

Julio Franco, any ideas? This would definitely be a good thing for all parties, and saves you making your own custom app. Heck, Tapatalk offers customised options for customers too. :p

Also to be considered is the issue of IOS, Andriod, & Windows phones - - it gets complicated quickly.
As long as the Mobile site is workable, should not be an issue.

Accessing TS via the Opera Mini Andriod simulator is not very encouraging (ie screen layout is not adjusted for mobile and scrolling is required in both dimensions). You can try the emulator for yourself here.

There was an iPhone simulation in the Safari browser, but it has been withdrawn (Safari is no longer supported on Windows/*). The presentation however, is precisely the same as you see in this link.

I use the mobile site on iOS all the time and it works really well. On Android some animations are a little bit slower, but overall it works just fine. Also in the more modern Blackberries. Windows Phone I understand is not fully working so we are looking into that soon.

If you can help us troubleshooting with your own smartphones and telling us anything you see broken or what could be improved, that would be most helpful as well.

Well when you use the mobile site how can you find your new alerts because I know I have new alerts but I am unable to find them on the mobile site.

Well when you use the mobile site how can you find your new alerts because I know I have new alerts but I am unable to find them on the mobile site.

From my message above:

There are a few key improvements we are planning that will particularly cater to logged in users (for example, receiving alerts) and thus make it more obvious that you can still participate and browse the entire site

Btw: the android presentation is the site default as the redirection to m.techspot.com is not working

jobeard, note m.techspot.com is for smartphones only. Android and iOS tablets should still get the full site (but adapted to the smaller screen). Which devices are you using?

On Tapatalk. The issue with it is that the official Tapatalk add-on includes a bunch of (self-promotional) advertising and annoying pops to users who don't have it. We don't need that in our site. I will see if we can get that removed and then install the add-on.

Android and iOS tablets should still get the full site (but adapted to the smaller screen).
Yes, I thought that should be the case, but the site viewed via the Andriod Emulator shows poor screen size management. One of the mobile guidelines is to avoid horizontal scrolling and the full site on these devices forces both, while m.techspot.com/community/ does manage screen size correctly.

Also to be noted is lack of touch support, at least in the menus when viewing www.techspot.com/community/ on such devices.

I've tried HTC Desire, Motorola Droid {X & RAZR M}, Samsung Galaxy S3 and others.

Load the Emulator for yourself (it acts just like another browser & free) and you can see it all.

jobeard would those emulators mirror the stock android browser? I ask because I just went to Techspot on my Note II using the stock browser and I get an adapted mobile version. I attached a screenshot to show you what I mean. However, I do have Firefox mobile installed and I get the full site.

Edit: Changed screenshot to better version.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-04-25-10-39-37.png
    Screenshot_2013-04-25-10-39-37.png
    363.9 KB · Views: 6
The major "trick" to getting the correct presentation is to control the Agent String. Firefox provides { IE, iPhone (3,4,5) } and even user defined strings. (usually mobile devices are detected using the old 'browser sniffing techniques' although, client side scripting can use jquery to perform 'capability testing').

Safari is myopic and only supports its own mobile devices.

The Opera Mini emulator has quite a list of Android devices - -
however, the Note II using the stock browser is not shown :sigh:

Your screenshot clearly shows a mobile device presentation and screen management - - that's what I was looking for too :)

The tablet devices present a conundrum for the website - - wide screens which still need touch screen behaviors and to avoid horizontal scrolling.

I think this meta can be served everywhere and not regress the standard browser but constrain all mobile devices:

Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

On Tapatalk. The issue with it is that the official Tapatalk add-on includes a bunch of (self-promotional) advertising and annoying pops to users who don't have it. We don't need that in our site. I will see if we can get that removed and then install the add-on.
According to the docs and FAQs I've read, Tapatalk has one popup that appears once (as per cookies) when visiting m.techspot.com. It will alert saying that Tapatalk is active on the forum. The code for this can be freely removed from your website, Tapatalk FAQ even shows you how.

It's also available on iOS and Android... :( no WinPho or BB sadly.

Not sure what you are trying to accomplish jobeard? We use viewport meta tags already, and we try to use them to our advantage (well, actually yours :)).

Like I said, I will look into Tapatalk if we can remove any pop ups. The mobile site's forum is feature complete however, but I understand if some of you prefer to use Tapatalk across different sites or simply like the app's features.

My only thought is to assist Andriod users to have a comfortable experience on TS as does everyone else :)

Back