TechSpot

TechSpot Community: Cooling guides + Phanteks heatsink giveaway

By Matthew
May 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. As TechSpot grows, we're producing more content and adding new features, but we're also working on ways to improve the community. The recent forum upgrade will let us do some...

Read the whole story

2. daweimon

daweimon TS Rookie

3. Marnomancer

Marnomancer TS Booster Posts: 808   +51

Wow dude, thanks for the acknowledgement! :)
    Surely I would love to participate, but I don't think my paper prototypes would look cool next to Red's water-cooled rig. :p

4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,096   +43

Edit: haha, sorry guys, having a rough morning. I searched a image resizer, and I am getting it done.

---- My "graphic is too wide," and I'd have to resize every single picture... I dont really have time to do this unless someone can link me to a free download of a program that will automatically downsize my pictures so I can upload them to Techspot... and I dont have time because I am at work for the next 9 hours.

It's one thing to appreciate good quality pictures, but when you say its a must for the giveaway, and then dont allow pictures of certain sizes... well, this doesnt really make any sense... you guys are already giving people a small quota for their gallery.

5. Trillionsin

6. Raswan

Raswan TS Enthusiast Posts: 280

7. Justin-margot

Justin-margot TS Rookie

Nope nothing here too, but would like to enter.

8. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,571   +338

We are fixing a bug with links adding a trailing slash. We should have that fixed very soon.
    Edit: Fixed!

In the meantime we've also adjusted the maximum image dimensions, up to 2560 wide and 2000 pixels tall. Also up to 2.5MB in size for a single file. I hope nobody comes across a limitation now.

9. Trillionsin

Thanks Julio, seems to be fixed or someone fixed my link for me. Either way, my day is already getting better. I hope that automatically adds me in for the giveaway, if not, please enter me in there! :)

10. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Enthusiast Posts: 331   +23

Well I'm getting my HAFx case tomorrow, sadly it won't have any liquid cooling due to lack of $$$ but it will be armed to the teeth with fans XD

11. dexterkarthik

dexterkarthik TS Rookie

12. 3DCGMODELER

3DCGMODELER TS Enthusiast Posts: 307   +18

When will they come out with Liquid Nitrogen coolers???

13. captainawesome

captainawesome TS Guru Posts: 414   +42

@TS, could you maybe brighten up the picture of Reds rig. It's a little dark

14. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

I am a novice when it comes to forums. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to upload a picture onto Techspot's gallery and I don't know how to embed a link in my comment. Can someone help a noob out?

15. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,571   +338

Simply copy and paste the URL from your browser into the comment form.

16. ghasmanjr

ghasmanjr TS Booster Posts: 363   +86

17. ETF Soldier

ETF Soldier TS Booster Posts: 282   +40

18. kurtis

kurtis TS Rookie

19. abysal

abysal TS Member Posts: 68   +10

20. GmoTazz

GmoTazz TS Rookie

21. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,906   +90

One for each guide Nice work guys(y)I'm in Link

22. pmshah

pmshah TS Rookie Posts: 81

There are 2 aspects to efficient cooling. One is to create a unidirectional flow and the other being positioning of various components within the cabinet. The latter is very much governed by the motherboard layout. I have had reservations with the standard mobo layout for quite sometime now. Here are just a couple which are nothing but a pin in the you know where.

The sata headers on the motherboards, at least the ones I have come across in past several years, always come in the way of mounting the standard 3.5" HDDs. Similarly the memory slots, the power connector and the old style IDE headers are so closely packed they are difficult to at best to handle and to allow free flow of air.

Then there are a whole lot of unnecessary - more like detrimental - openings / holes / gaps in most cabinets which simply create sort of closed loop circulation of hot air missing most of the motherboard components. Another thing I have noticed is the fact that the fins on the cpu cooler are horizontal - for vertical orientation cabinets - which does not do anything for natural convection flow !

23. hollylvwood

hollylvwood TS Rookie

24. CRUNKOSAUR

CRUNKOSAUR TS Rookie

25. Rtnlsltn

Rtnlsltn TS Rookie

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.