TechSpot home page

Technochicken

When I try to go to the front page in Chrome, the page never loads all the way, and the loading wheel continues to spin. Sometimes the page is completely white, and sometimes I get this:

techspot.jpg

I have tried on two different computers with the same results. I can use the forum fine by just typing in the URL, and the front page seems to load properly in other browsers. I am using the latest version of Chrome on both computers I have tried.

Thanks for the heads up Technochicken. Oddly, I just received an email about another member having issues loading the site. I've brought the thread to Julio's attention. Hopefully it's no big deal.

hmm; loads for me (Chrome 16.0.912.77 m) on XP/Pro Sp2

also FF 3.6.13 & Opera 11.52

My experience has been that a 'busy cursor' that never resolves is a problem
with HTTP/1.1 indicating a data length of XX and the browser has only seen XX-y (ie not yet all).

Technochicken when did this started happening? And if you use a different browser on the same machine, do you still get the same loading error?

It started when I tried to check the site this evening, at around 6 pm EST. I have tried Firefox, IE, and Safari, and the page loads properly in all three.

There is something new going on with the TS Homepage that is causing Google Chrome 16.x on both Windows and Mac to hang if I use Full View. It also uses a whole lot of CPU cycles while it's hung.

So far that hasn't seemed to happen to me with Firefox 10 in Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

The homepage is also not loading for me in Chrome 16.0.912.77 m on either my desktop or my laptop. Both are running Windows 7 x64.

We are looking into it, it is an issue with Chrome 16 when changing to Full View.

For now please clear your TechSpot cookies in Chrome if you are experiencing this issue, for what we've seen it is bug in the Chrome browser, we're trying to figure out ways to workaround it but for now if you are using Chrome delete the TechSpot cookie called 'view_news'.

Im on the Chrome dev channel and it works just fine there, but I'm 2 major releases ahead from 16...

18.0.1025.1 dev-m

Yep it looks like only Chrome 16 has this bug, we've tested versions 15, 17 and 18 they all run fine.

For now if you're affected by this bug clear TechSpot cookies or use another browser, until we find some workaround.

The hang is being triggered on Chrome 16 by a youtube embedded video on one of the news articles.

For now the homepage is working ok when in full page view but if you go to https://www.techspot.com/page2.html or whatever page contains the article or articles it will hang.

Back