TechSpot

TechSpot not warning against 'AntiMalwarebytes' Trojan load

By TonyGuitar
Apr 17, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Techspot is great and very helpful / generous. But this problem is getting lotsa folks.

The term 'Antimalwarebytes', [should be Malwarebytes], is picked up in chat and forums.

It gets enetered in search here at Techspot and the Trojan downloading site..W.W. Anti-malware-2010.org.....pops up.

Difficult to warn against, I know. There are so many similar close-to-name traps one can hardly warn against them all.

Malwarebytes is excellent!. I ran it and the results were FAST and better than expected.

This malware cleaner is rising fast and sadly, the human auto-mode tends to type in Antimalwarebytes. [Human nature?], so lots of auto-mode people, [like me], are going to get Trojans loaded by that -2010 malicious website.

This task, should you accept the challenge, is to warn folks when they enter this term in your downloads search window.

I notice 'Antimalwarebytes' even shows up in Google ads. Those guys must be getting into lotsa PCs. Thanks, TG

2. TonyGuitar

TonyGuitar TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 90

Here is the link to Techspot search showing the malicious web site in an ads by Google and the string of people affected below..

http://tinyurl.com/y6uhv55

3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,937   +551

Ok, so let me get this straight, your suggestion/complaint is about the malicious site that appears as an advertisement when you search using the 'AntiMalwarebytes' string?

Furthermore, the advertisement in question goes to this domain name?
    anti-malware-2010.org ?

4. TonyGuitar

Bad site shows in search and ads by Google

Bad web site. Sorry, looking at the post, it may seem harsh. Not meant that way. Just trying to give a warning. Beware of search results for 'AntiMalwareBytes'

The search result gives Anti-Malware-2010:eek:rg

This is a Trojan downloading site... or it was for me, Avg warned in time to disable it with a scan by Malwarebytes. 2 Trojans affected 222 files.

Not much Techspot can do to warn folks I guess.

I realize there is a flood of requests for help coming in and only limited time to take care of these time-consuming things. TG

5. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 6,937   +551

There's at least a partial solution thanks to your feedback. I have added that domain name to our block list, so it should be banned from displaying in our search results from now on (takes a few hours for the ban to kick in).

I can't fix Google's listings, but I can do something about it here. Perhaps you may want to report that to Google as well.

6. TonyGuitar

Hey Julio,

Great! One could not ask for more. You took care of this promptly and over a weekend, even though my request was not as diplomatic or tactful as it should have been. Nice!

I have long since informed Google about the site. Not easy to find a channel to do that, but got through via forum for 'Ads by Google.

It's a difficult thing to bar bad sites from showing up in various search windows no doubt. Cnet downloads seem to be in fixed text, not a search window. Guess that's a safer method. I never thought about it till now.