TechSpot showed us Xeon in place of Core i7s, anything like this in GPU?

Hi, I was very impressed by this article- https://www.techspot.com/review/1155-affordable-dual-xeon-pc/

Is there anything like this in GPUs? I was hoping previous years top of the line can beat or at least match current video cards, at a fraction of the cost on ebay.

My main requirements will be capable of Nvidia Gamestream. Capable of 1080p at 60 fps at high quality. Though I never play, would like to try out the recent titles such as witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and some more similar titles.

Are there any suggestions we can get on ebay? I forgot to mention a budget of 100 USD.

Furthermore, my M/B is only pcie x8. But from what I've read so far, there is minimal lost in converting the card from pcie x16 to pcie x8 via riser cables.

Hope I will get some response here. Thanks in advance.

Hi, I was very impressed by this article- https://www.techspot.com/review/1155-affordable-dual-xeon-pc/

Is there anything like this in GPUs? I was hoping previous years top of the line can beat or at least match current video cards, at a fraction of the cost on ebay.

My main requirements will be capable of Nvidia Gamestream. Capable of 1080p at 60 fps at high quality. Though I never play, would like to try out the recent titles such as witcher 3, Rise of the Tomb Raider, and some more similar titles.

Are there any suggestions we can get on ebay? I forgot to mention a budget of 100 USD.

Furthermore, my M/B is only pcie x8. But from what I've read so far, there is minimal lost in converting the card from pcie x16 to pcie x8 via riser cables.

Hope I will get some response here. Thanks in advance.
Here in the uk gtx 680's and gtx 690's are going on ebay for £100 to £200. Not sure how that works out in dollars or how well the 690 will run on 8x pcie bus but those cards are worth a look though.

In my very humble opinion, I would go for a most modern current video card (like the GTX 1050) that I could afford - and then experiment with using lower resolution to get the gameplay (FPS; freedom from glitches) which I require. I realize that it will not meet the 1080p definition, but I personally prefer 'chunky' to 'glitchy'.

My reasoning is:
1. the advances in GPUs have really been significant - so a current GPU with its tiny die size and lower power requirement is vastly superior
2. 2GB VRAM is becoming a requirement to play some of the new games
3. DX12 and related will prove significantly superior to DX11 and earlier (likewise for AMD Vulkan, etc)
4. all of the above will prove more pronounced as newer games arrive

I look forward to hearing lots of other ideas.

I picked up a Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 for $50 on ebay for my HTPC about a month ago.
With my 720 X3 @ 3.2GHz and 8GB Ripjaw 1333 I hit a P4200 3DMark11 on stock GPU clocks.

A 2GB 5870 might be the real bargain, if you can find one.

Gtx 770 or gtx 960. both can be found right at the top of your budget and will perform similarly or slightly better than a gtx 1050 Ti depending from what I can tell. they both have 4gb versions though pricing is a bit less consistent on those.

Long ago I used two geforce 560 Ti's in SLI and could play any game for a pretty budget price, I think sadly nowdays the 1050's are not that cheap anymore but you might be able to score some 9'series cards cheap on ebay from folks that upgraded.

Basically the best answer would be second hand firstly and secondly try and get two cards and SLI 'em.

My suggestion to you would be to look at the RX 470. I don't like the term "future proof", but it will be more "future resistant" than previous generation cards. I looked at what GTX 680, GTX 690, and GTX 780 have gone for recently on Ebay. Let's say that you're lucky enough to get one (a 680 or 780) for around $100. It won't have a warranty, so what will you do if it craps out two weeks after getting it? Besides, game benchmarks for the RX 470 vs the GTX 780 are pretty close anyway, with most decisions going to the RX 470. Go to hwbench(.com) and do a comparison between the RX 470 and GTX 780 and check those game benchmarks. Then do a Google search for "RX 470 vs GTX 780 game benchmarks" and do further digging. As a deal maniac, I recommend Slickdeals(.net) to find a good deal on an RX 470. I've seen them on there recently for around $100 from Jet, although that's going to be the after-rebate price. Good luck.

A 3gb 7970 is probably your best bet For solid strong performance under $100. But it requires quite a bit of power (8-pin and 6-pin)

Personally I would jump through the necessary hoops to get an rx 470 in the $110-130 range (coupons and rebates). They also only require a single 6-pin power connector.

Gtx 770 or gtx 960. both can be found right at the top of your budget and will perform similarly or slightly better than a gtx 1050 Ti depending from what I can tell. they both have 4gb versions though pricing is a bit less consistent on those.

GTX 770 or Kepler is no, no, no! nVidia gimped its performance with drivers long time ago. 960 is still valid option.

GTX 770 or Kepler is no, no, no! nVidia gimped its performance with drivers long time ago. 960 is still valid option.

This is something I suspect as well. I used to have a 770 4GB Phantom and well its performance in the same games that I always played with it went down about 20% after the 900 series came. It was a slow decline over time but it was clearly noticeable, thou only in recent games. Old ones ran as fine as ever.

Guys, thanks for the overwhelming response. Overall, I hear a lot of good things about AMD's Rx 460, bring an inexpensive card that gives you a lot of bang for your buck. Though I've never read up on AMD's RX 470 yet. This is due to it not being able to support Nvidia Gamestream. Reason I need Gamestream is because I am installing on my Unraid NAS, which is quite far away, and I'd like to use Gamestream technology to stream it to my desktop or TV.

Though for now, most games I play are found on Steampowered.com. Does this mean I use Steam's streaming instead? AMD Supported?

Previously using an AMD card, with primary monitor connected to dvi, and TV connected to hdmi. I had several problems concerning sleep, and waking up the tv's display. I wonder if the AMD cards now still have that kind of issue. Nvidia just works after installation, TV display is kept awake though TV is off. I couldn't do that with AMD before.

Hope someone can provide further advice.

Steam streaming works ok, but I think gamestream works "bettter".

The difference between a 460 and 470 is pretty significant and if you can swing the 470 you definitely should.

Though I have to mention my steam streaming will go to a raspberry pi 3 that will either be connected to a TV, or monitor. This shouldn't change things right? Plan is to GPU passthrough to a Windows 10 VM on my Unraid NAS. I will then use Raspberry Pi 3 to stream from Steam.

Can anyone confirm whether this will work?

If you don't mind tinkering, you can go on eBay and check out some older Nvidia Quadro cards.... Seen the 4000 series going for about $60-75 USD....

Is Quadro 4000 any good for today's gaming?
In a word, no. A same-generation consumer card will blow a Quadro out of the water.
Quadro is architecturally very similar to second or third rung consumer cards from the same generation, the difference being that the drivers are meticulously maintained and optimized for enterprise applications, mostly in opengl

Back