TechSpot's Smartphone Buying Guide: Q4 2011 Update

Oh! C'mon TechSpot, you guys should have waited another month or two... Seriously expecting and probably an Xperia Duo and some quad core phones :p

It's a good thing I can upgrade my phone at the end of the year, I will be waiting to see the Nexus Prime or a windows 7.5 phone. I was thinking of going iPhone 4S but Siri is not worth it IMO.

Might want to update Nexus Prime, pretty sure Ice Cream Sandwich is running version 4.0 of Android and not 2.4

Siri is amazing. I don't have to type text anymore. If I get a text on the road it reads it to me. I see Siri as a major game changer... All other smartphones will be scrambling to get something similar. I never had an iPhone before but this was the best time to pick one up IMO. With Siri and IOS 5... I am still in WOW every day at what it can do!

I picked up the T-MO Galaxy S II a couple of days ago, it has dual core 1.5ghz cpu not 1.2ghz. The screen is a little bit larger too, 4.62" I think. Coming from a myTouch 4G, day to day use is about the same, with the exception of the screen which is why I wanted the SGSII in the first place.

People aren't lying when they say it has the best display, it's freakin' amazing. The phone is surprisingly light for its size, lighter than the myTouch and even my old Vibrant (SGI).

If you have a 1ghz single or dual core 4G phone already I wouldn't recommend upgrading, performance difference isn't noticeable most the time. But if you want the Ferrari of displays, get it. I whipped it out in the elevator this morning, someone asked if that was the new iPhone, a co-worker said "I wish" as he pulled his 4S. Pwned.

Guest said:
Siri is amazing. I don't have to type text anymore. If I get a text on the road it reads it to me. I see Siri as a major game changer...All other smart phones will be scrambling to get something similar. I never had an iPhone before but this was the best time to pick one up IMO. With Siri and IOS 5... I am still in WOW every day at what it can do!

That does sound useful, but I'm going to wait for a pretty comprehensive review before believing it's that slick. I've had too many bad experiences with customer service lines and their automated voice saying 'Would like to review your current activity?' Say, "Review my current activity." And then I do, and it has no idea what I just said.

And Android's speech to text is always mood for a gaf... I mean, good for a laugh.

milwaukeemike said:
Guest said:
Siri is amazing. I don't have to type text anymore. If I get a text on the road it reads it to me. I see Siri as a major game changer...All other smart phones will be scrambling to get something similar. I never had an iPhone before but this was the best time to pick one up IMO. With Siri and IOS 5... I am still in WOW every day at what it can do!

That does sound useful, but I'm going to wait for a pretty comprehensive review before believing it's that slick. I've had too many bad experiences with customer service lines and their automated voice saying 'Would like to review your current activity?' Say, "Review my current activity." And then I do, and it has no idea what I just said.

And Android's speech to text is always mood for a gaf... I mean, good for a laugh.

Having owned and/or extensively used all platforms, without any bias, I can tell you with certainty that Siri is superior to any other speech-to-text and text-to-speech capabilities released on today's' smartphones.

The only one that actually comes quite close is Android's voice capabilities, but sadly, it is not as integrated to the OS as Siri is to iOS.

The other OS that also has voice capabilities would be WP7 Mango, but it's inaccurate, and very, very limited in comparison. So if voice capabilities could be a decision point for you, then iPhone 4S it is.

Back