Terminology regarding network devices

Jskid

Two terminology questions
1)What is the name of the device many people have in their home that allows them to connect multiple machines to the internet wirelessly?
2)Just because multiple machines share the same network connection (I.e. same internet connection) does that mean they are in a network? For example if my laptop and desktop connect to the same [insert word from question 1 here] it doesn't really seem like they are on a "network".

A network is connecting two or more devices together for communications between them. Whether its a simple cable connecting two machines or a switch connecting five machines, its still considered networking.

Switches are multiple network ports that will share a network connection between several computers at one time by switching between the ports. A switch does not consist of a Wide Area Network (WAN) port used for connecting to Internet Service Provider (ISP). There are Wireless Access Points bundled within some Switches.

Wireless Access Points (WAP) are specifically what the name implies, they do not include switch or router functions.

Routers are needed for ISP connections through the use of a WAN port. A Switch and WAP has independent functions which can be found bundled within a Router.

You have an option of purchasing all three network components bundled together within one package of you can purchase them all separate as individual network components.

Try this:
Home users purchase an ISP connection one way or another - - that becomes your Internet gateway.

The device that provides access to the ISP Is typically a {Cable, DSL, Satellite or (god forbid) Dial-up connection} Modem.

Connecting a ROUTER to that modem, then creates a LAN (Local Area Network), and by definition, all devices connected to that router are on the same SUBNET.

EG: IF the router has address 192.168.1.1, then ALL devices from
192.168.1.2--> 192.168.0.253 are in the same NETWORK. Device at 254 and 255 have special meanings and user physical devices may not exist there.

#1 is a Router.
#2-networking multiple computers using same router>
Just because multiple machines share the same network connection (I.e. same internet connection) does that mean they are in a network? For example if my laptop and desktop connect to the same [ROUTER] it doesn't really seem like they are on a "network". ]

To 'network' the computers, you have to create a home network for file and print sharing among the computers> if you want to do that. Otherwise, the only 'network' they are on is the network of the ISP.

Back