Terms of Service?

D

DelJo63

The terms of service are not self-evident and require effort to locate :(
/vb-faq.html --> has link to --> /vb-tos.html​

I recommend that the TOS be included in the footer to all major points of entry.

btw: the TOS is extremely terse too.

No it isn't evident and it needs to be. I found 3 different places for Terms of Use, Terms of Service and FAQ. Are they laid out well? That's questionable.

I'm looking right now to find the one about not giving out password resets on a computer forum since the poster can't be verified. Is it here? I don't know. Should it be? Yes.

Some newbie has just posted how to reset password on Vista- and it's not even a question!

We require newly registered users to agree to our TOS, then it's accessible through our community guidelines/FAQ.

At the end of the day, users won't even bother looking at it. Meanwhile, we (admins, mods, regulars) will do the same stuff regardless to maintain the boards clean. That's just my way of looking at things.

Of course, you're right. I am one who is guilty of not reading all the Terms of Service. But it is very helpful to have what is and isn't allowed clearly spelled out and it's also a plus to have it stated what we will and won't support.

Even if the members haven't read every word, those of us who reply can clearly start the the poster ha violated the Terms of Service (whether they read it all or not) OR we can reference a particular 'term' disallowing our discussion or support.

Examples:
P2P programs
Indication or example of Pirated programs
Request for password override or reset. (as in 'I forgot my password' or 'my grandson messed up my password')

Some users get ticked off when we don't respond with a fix. Being able to cite a particular Term of Usage'' or Term of Service' takes the burden off of the helpers and puts it back on the user.

The new member who took it upon himself to post for all the world to see 'how to reset a password' could be told this violates a 'term' on the board> whether they read it or not!

Back