Terrifying Audio Lag & Input Lag

Status
Not open for further replies.

cBrack

Hi All,

First post here... Couldn't find any other forum that was worth anything, so I figured I might get a worthy response here. Basically, my problem is this:

When I listen to audio (my test audio from Intel's Audio Studio), it crackles a little here and there, but mostly when the CPU starts to increase/decrease. My mouse also lags during the time when the audio lags. It seems to be OK if the CPU is steady doing work, but if it starts to increase (by maximizing a window, etc) it will really lag and sound like its in slow motion. Its like something out of the Matrix soundtrack, it sends the audio data extremely slowly.

I'm running XP with SP2 :(, and I just installed a new nv7900gs and another stick of memory (putting it to 2G). Additionally, I'm running an Intel board with SigmaTel HD audio. I've updated all the drivers, updated the bios, even tried a different sound card, and to no avail.

Help me TechSpot posters, you're my only hope.

-Chris

(ps... i really wanna play wow without these sounds!!!!!!)

(also, speaking of which, when booting WoW, it takes a while to start up, and while its starting the mouse lags really hard)

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

We need your full system specs as in this thread HERE. Also, please can you supply details of your psu(power supply unit). We need to know it`s wattage and how many amps it puts out on the 12volt rail/s. You can find this info on the psu label.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Hi Howards, thanks for the quick response. I've edited my profile so that you can view my specs.

Regarding the PSU, info can be found: http://www.antec.com/specs/TPII430_spe.html

I'd imagine I'm not using all 430 watts... Also, my computer just crashed, as it did once before. Before it was a white somewhat scrambled screen, this time it just shut off. I'm gonna try taking out the memory to start.

That`s a good psu, so unless it`s faulty, I think we can rule it out.

That means, we`re probably looking at a conflict of some kind, too many processes running, or malware.

Go and read this thread HERE, then post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread. This will allow me to look for signs of infection and to see if I can spot anything that may be causing you lag etc.

Regards Howard :)

Its a brand new install. I just upgraded it and wiped it clean, I haven't had a virus in ages before that.

I thought maybe it might have been the 2 sound cards at once, but I took the other one out and it still wasnt working. I tried taking out the other memory stick, and re-seated the graphics card... Maybe something will get fixed.

I might try wiping again and reinstalling windows, thats my last option cus I really don't feel like installing everything.

Thanks for the help so far.

-Chris

[Edit] The problem still exists without the other stick of memory...

Post the HJT log as requested, it might show what your problem is, then again it might show nothing, but it can`t hurt to check.

Oh, one other thing... I was shutting down to throw the memory back in, and it installed some updates, then I came back and it had a blue-ish screen (i'm assuming its just assuming the color of the bg at the time). It was scrambled, and my GPU was going overhaul; the fan was running really fast.

I know its not the GPU cus its brand new; second one to do this. I'm starting to think it might be a mobo problem or something...

Take a look at this thread HERE it might help. I`d still like to see a HJT log, but it`s up to you.

It is possible you have a hardware problem, though I hope that`s not the case.

Yeah I hope its not... If not I can get a new mobo for 50 bucks...

I'll get that HTJ log once I boot the PC back up.

Again, thanks for all the help. I appreciate it.

I just booted it back up, got to windows and everything, was going into some system settings, and then it just turned off.

:(

Now I turn it on, get a single short beep, and it turns back off. Time to check the Intel manual.

(sorry for the double post)

Damn, that`s definitely not good.

Disconnect anything not required to run your system. Just leave one stick of ram/psu/video card/hard drive and see if it boots.

Edit: Make sure that everything is seated and connected properly. You may have disturbed something when you were removing/replacing the ram.

Regards Howard :(

I'm disassembling right now. Might be a while before I get back.

[EDIT] : I disassembled, and its now running without crashing. I dusted everything thoroughly and made sure everything was seated perfectly. I put my processor's standard heatsink/fan on, and it seems to be working alright.

Bump, and:

My sound is still messed up. When I play music, it plays pretty well, until the processor does something. When I open up firefox the sound gets really staticy and it lags/slows down. Same thing with world of warcraft, any program really. I'm gonna try the audio drivers again, but I'm still stumped.

-Chris

Attached is the log file from HTJ. My system has been pretty stable so far, but the audio is indeed still messed up.

-Chris

Your HJT log is clean. However, it appears you`re not running any antivirus or firewall software, this is a huge security risk.

Go to your mobo manufacturers website and download and install the lastest chipset/sound drivers etc. See if that helps. I`m assuming you`re using onboard sound?

yes, onboard sound. Its a lot more recent than my old sb:live! card.

As for the antivirus, I figure MS Defender or whatever the hell they call it will work. I havent bothered with it yet because I'm cautious of what I download/view. I'm probably just too used to using linux and mac and not having to deal with viruses.

Running Windows means you need to be a lot more pro-active in your antivirus software. A good antivirus and firewall programme will help protect your system. See HERE for some suggestions.

Completely uninstall your sound software and drivers, then install with the latest versions available.

Let me know the outcome.

I'll try that. To add, when I start up some programs, I definitely notice that the mouse lags while they're starting up. I don't remember if this is normal or not, but it seems to lag exactly where the sound would lag.

The mouse lag isn`t normal.

Test your hard drive with the manufacturers diagnostic utility. If you can`t find it, see this thread HERE.

Look in your C:\windows\minidumps folder and attach 5 or 6 of the latest minidumps if there.

That doesn`t tell me anything at all mate.

Maybe you`d be better off with Powermax programme.

Download the ISO version and burn it to cd as an image, then boot from the cd and run the hard drive tests.

Speaking of hard drive possibilities... I figured that if it is the hard drive, sound should play well from a removable, right? Well, it turns out that the music is playing almost flawlessly when I start programs and such. Maybe my HD is messed up. I'll try reformatting or putting a different one in there.

Additionally, I was running the music from the removable, and I figured I'd start up World of Warcraft cus its a heavy toll on the system.... And somehow the audio is extremely improved with Itunes running in the background, or something. I don't know exactly what I can conclude, but its definitely getting better.

What a hassle.

That`s why I suggested, you test your hard drive ;)

Hopefully, once you`ve done that, you`ll know if it`s the source of your problems.

Yeah I think thats going to fix it.

I really appreciate all your help. Thank you SOO much.

Regards,

Chris

No problem mate.

When you eventually get to the bottom of your problem, please fire off a quick post to let us know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back