TES V: Skyrim - What mods are you using and for what?

LNCPapa

TS Special Forces
I've spent more time testing out mods than actually playing this game. I think I've finally gotten to the point that I'm very happy with my current config and I'm going to spend the majority of my time playing instead of modding. I thought this would be a great place to list the mods you're using and for what purpose... and it would also serve as a place to find out when mods have been superseded by newer or more capable mods. With that, I'll lead things off:

Nexus Mod Manager - First and foremost, you must get this to handle all your mods. It simplifies everything.
A Quality World Map - Much better world map that has roads drawn in
Better Females by Bella - Replaces female face textures with higher res ones
Better Skill Books and Obvious Skill Books - Makes it easier to glance at the myriad of books in the game and see which ones will skill you up.
Breezehome Bookshelves - Nice place to store books in your home
Calientes Female Body Mod Big Bottom Edition -CBBE- - Um... I like curvy women
Enhanced Blood Textures - Better blood splatter
Enhanced Night Skyrim - The night sky looks better
Glowing Ore Veins 300 - Got tired of missing all that sweet ore
HiRes Legible Road Signs - Now those things are useful because I can actually read them
KenMOD - Time on loading screen - Shows the real Earth time on all loading screens
Kerplunk - Watery Rocks - Makes the rocks in the water look more wet
Lush Grass - Makes the grass not look like a bad toupee over Mother Earth
Nice Snowflakes - ditto
No More Blocky Faces - Most races will have smoother looking faces
Nocturnal Dress for Calientes Body Mod -CBBE- - Did I mention I like curvy women?
RWT: Realistic Water Textures - Much higher res water that looks almost photo-realistic
skse - Toolkit for some other mods
Skyrim HD - 2K Textures - Retextures many environments and makes them look a lot better
SkyUI - A real PC interface for Skyrim
TESV Acceleration Layer - Something I didn't think would work but incredibly improves performance quite a bit. Claims to do some code optimization for CPU bound situations.
ThuuMic - OMG Nerd alert... Now I don't have to cycle through my shouts to use all of them. I simply have to memorize how to say them and yell them into my mic. Beware, your wife will call you a retard if she catches you playing like this, but once you do it you can't go back.
Tytanis - Ultimate crafting mod
Vals Crafting Meltdown Alpha - Allows you to break down gear you loot into components for crafting... a must have, but be careful as it lets you break down your worn gear.

Here's what my game looks like these days... http://steamcommunity.com/id/lncpapa/screenshots/
You may be able to notice as you go back in time that I had fewer and fewer mods installed. I also ended up disabling Realistic Smoke and Embers because it kept giving me performance issues. I can run a smooth 60 fps with all of my other mods enabled, but I turn that one on and my fps drops into the 30-40 range. Not worth it for the small visual improvement of fire, but I don't think it's affecting most other people the way it is me.

Enhanced night sky is the only one I use. It is excellent. Sometimes I just stop and stare at the stars. A really well done mod.

I've recently retired TESV Acceleration Layer and switched over to Skyboost for the same function.
I dropped Enhanced Night Skyrim and just use the updated textures from Skyrim HD for that function
I dropped Realistic Water Textures and just use the updated textures from Skyrim HD for that function
I've added Dovahkiin Hideout as an expansion and connection between my homes
I've added Better Sorting to make it easier to locate inventory items
I've added Hvergelemirs Shield Retexture to make shields look better
I've added Real Ice for better looking icy areas
I've added Skill Interface Retexture and New Awesome Perk Lines to enhance the appearance of the skillup screen
I've added Skyrim Flora Overhaul to make the flora look even better
I've added Visible Windows to make all windows in Skyrim look better
I've had to disable ScriptDragon since I'm getting errors after the Skyrim 1.4 patch. This means I cannot use my favorite mod Thuumic at the moment.

As of this morning ScriptDragon has been updated to support the current Skyrim 1.4 patch so I've re-enabled it and Thuumic.

Back