Tesla cancels 40 kWh battery option for Model S ahead of production

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Tesla Motors recently announced plans to discontinue a smaller battery option for the Model S before it ever enters production. The 40 kWh battery pack won’t be offered due to lack of demand as only four percent of customers selected that option. Those who ordered this option will instead receive a vehicle with a 60 kWh battery pack limited to 40 kWh via software, Tesla said in a press release.

tesla model kwh tesla model s battery option

It’s good news all around for the four percent that ordered the lower-range capacity as the software-limited Tesla S will feature the same improved acceleration and higher top speed of the larger battery pack. What’s more, the vehicle can be upgraded by the original buyer or a future owner to enable the full range of the 60 kWh pack. One can’t help but wonder how long it will take for hackers to figure out how to enable the full range without paying Tesla to do it, but I digress.

tesla model kwh tesla model s battery option

Tesla also noted that all 60 kWh cars have been and will be built with Supercharger hardware included. The company said they are taking a slight cost risk in assuming that customers will want to buy the Supercharger upgrade and receive free charging at a Supercharger station for life. It sounds like a great deal if you travel long distances but even if you don’t the hardware will no doubt increase the resale value of the Tesla S down the road.

Permalink to story.

Lol, a funny jab at this charging station.
one goes to tesla charging station, comes back home only to go back to recharge. :)

seriously: "...receive free charging at a Supercharger station for life"
does this mean that there's only one cash out for the purchase of the tesla electric car and there's NO fee for battery charging?

does this mean that there's only one cash out for the purchase of the tesla electric car and there's NO fee for battery charging?
The fee is probably replacing the battery periodically. I can only imagine how expensive they must be and how often they need replacing.

I dont think they have to replace it often actually. They may just have to maintain it and then assess if it needs to be replaced. But misor, the Tesla founder is a billionaire, he can afford free electricity lol.

Back