Tesla Cybertruck to feature crab mode, quad-motor option at launch

jsilva

In brief: Tesla unveiled its Cybertruck pickup a while ago, noting the EV would be offered in single-, dual- and triple-motor configurations. Per CEO Elon Musk's recent tweets, it seems there's also a four-motor version in the works.

Tesla's flagship Cybertruck (tri-motor) can go from 0 to 60 mph in a mere 2.9 seconds and offers over 500 miles of driving range, leading many to refer to it as one of a kind.

Musk recently confirmed that besides the single-motor, dual-motor and triple-motor variants, there's also going to be a four-motor version, and that it'll be the first to launch.

The quad-motor version is expected to weigh more and be slightly faster than the tri-motor one, but it seems the former will come with other unique traits. This model will allow the driver to control the torque of each wheel and steer the truck like a tank - and even diagonally like a crab - as it features front and rear-wheel steer. Considering the pickup's dimensions, the ability to drive it as described by Musk will certainly make parking much easier.

Recent footage of the Cybertruck shows someone driving it through the city, suburban roads, an unfinished Tesla Gigafactory and a field, depicting the vehicle's versatility. However, it will still be a while before we see how versatile the vehicle really is, as Musk told employees production won't start until late 2022.

Permalink to story.

I wish Techspot would stop this fetishizing over Elon Musk and every breath he takes.
Every day another EM story. Please can we talk about tech here not SUV's?

Nice to see the profile will protect kids in the advent of a crash - tbf probably safer than existing SUVs with no collision tech .
Actually looked up what SUV means Sports Utility Vehicle - here was me thinking it mean suburban utility Vehicle .
Basically should have some clearance , can kind of go offroad , and lots of open storage space at back .
So fake non-working vehicles - driven by soccer mums and dads - blocking your view for safe turning - because it's safer for their kids if they have an accident .

shouts at cloud as folks like stepping up to enter and having better visibility and more space inside -and Tibetan Mastiff friendly

Gawd, that thing already looks ugly, "futuristic" (sigh) and dated.

Remember when the DeLorean was supposedly cool? Look it up now, it's cringeworthy.

Good styling ages well. This monstrosity will not. Come back to earth, Elon.

Gawd, that thing already looks ugly, "futuristic" (sigh) and dated.

Remember when the DeLorean was supposedly cool? Look it up now, it's cringeworthy.

Good styling ages well. This monstrosity will not. Come back to earth, Elon.
Think how cool it would be to have one of these, Just imagine, being able to drive it, without having it report back everything you do to the CEO of General Motors:

$_58.png

Gee, I wonder where Musk stole the idea for his stupid truck:
1a.jpg

Nice to see the profile will protect kids in the advent of a crash - tbf probably safer than existing SUVs with no collision tech .

To be fair you should have looked up how vehicle safety is measured and used objective data to form an opinion rather than just using how you feel. There is plenty of vehicle tech outside of Tesla. Without any evidence how can you judge the safety of the Cybertruck or about any SUV at all? There most certainly is "collision tech" in modern SUV's. Tesla's SUV didn't make the IIHS Top Safety Pick list by the way.

Judging from the monster trucks filling the shopping centers here, I think a lot of pickup owners would rather have a tank. (Present company excepted.)

The thing is butt fugly, no one with any taste could possibly lose their mind and buy one.

Judging from the monster trucks filling the shopping centers here, I think a lot of pickup owners would rather have a tank. (Present company excepted.)
Well, probably not a tank, per se. But a full military (OD) version of a Hummer, hardened against IEDs, would do it for me.

All I have now is a humble Suzuki "Sidekick", and trust me, it's no match for those damned F-150 crew cabs. :eek:

Last edited:
Musk recently confirmed that besides the single-motor, dual-motor and triple-motor variants, there's also going to be a four-motor version, and that it'll be the first to launch.
OK, so Musk announces the truck at a, "starting price of $39,000". but the truck that will be launched first, is the full four motor, crab walking, top of the line, flagship model.

Now, I haven't shopped Teslas recently, (nor do I intend to), but it seems to me that this version of the "Cybertruck", will be closer to $100,000, than it is to $39.000. ($69.500 being the median).

Musk was, is, and always be, a duplicitous piece of sh!t, and a liar. So, "rots a ruck", at $39K

That's only IMHO, of course. Y'all can worship him in any way you choose:

Perhaps, "Ave Emperator, emeritori, te salutan" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back