Tesla reaches profitability for the first time in its 10-year history

By Shawn Knight
May 9, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Tesla Motors reported a quarterly profit for the first time in its 10-year history during the first quarter of 2013. This was done by exceeding their own targets for deliveries, expanding gross margin and improving execution throughout the company according...

Read more
  2. Denxnis

Denxnis TS Rookie

Glad to see the company is making a profit, goes to show some people are finally embracing the fact that we cannot rely on oil for the rest of our lives.
  3. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Great stuff. I really hope they introduce more cars into the lineup. But seriously, 10 years without turning a profit is tough! Way to stick with it.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Just watched "Revenge of the Electric Car", and I'm happy to see Tesla reach this most impressive milestone! I also couldn't believe that it's been 10 years of Tesla this far.
  5. TomSEA

TomSEA TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,551   +595

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but one of my buddies has a Tesla S and it is without a doubt the most impressive car I've ridden in. Glad to see that innovation is alive and well in the auto industry and this company is now starting to make a buck for that innovation.
  6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

What innovation? I'm being serious. Tesla takes a nice shell and shoves 5+year old poor technology batteries in them. Where is the innovation?
  7. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 8,430   +2,822

Yeah, if it hadn't been for gasoline engines booming, this tech could have taken off in the 40's. I can't imagine where we would be if electric cars would have evolved with the PC world.
  8. ....and the power required to charge these cars exceeds the carbon footprint of burning fuel.

Go figure.
  9. H3llion

H3llion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,249   +220

^ depends how the power is attained

Even if that statement is true, if no development is done on this, we are heading for a collapse. These technologies NEED to be developed, even at the cost you have stated (which could be completely false, I don't know).

Keep it up Tesla, innovate!
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. QWales

QWales TS Rookie

11. QWales

QWales TS Rookie

Actualy I retract the later part of that statement if it uses more carbon to generate the electricity needed to power a vehicle a specific distance than is used by a traditional oil based machine.