Tesla stops including charging connectors with new cars

Tudor Cibean

Staff
What just happened? Tesla seems to be taking a leaf out of Apple's book after officially announcing that they will stop bundling charging cables with cars ordered from now on. They will, however, happily sell you that same connector for an additional $200. This will undoubtedly also boost sales of their $500 Wall Connector.

Tesla has already increased the price of its vehicles several times this year, and today's news won't make their value propositions any better.

New car purchases won't come with a mobile connector included anymore. Instead, you'll be able to buy the Gen 2 mobile connector bundle (capable of Level 1 charging) separately for an additional $200. Tesla will, however, start including more plug adapters in this connector kit.

While this mobile connector charges Teslas at a sluggish 2-3 miles of range per hour, it can come in handy if you want to top up at a friend's place or in an area without charging stations as it can plug into a standard outlet.

Elon Musk confirmed the move on Twitter, claiming that usage statistics were very low. He also mentioned that the mobile connector is not needed if you have a Tesla wall connector or rely on Superchargers instead. Musk also went on to recommend that people install a Tesla wall connector before their car arrives.

It's worth noting that while most EVs come with either a Level 1 or Level 2 charging cable as standard, Kia also chose not to include one with the EV6. Hopefully, this won't become a trend, similar to how some smartphone manufacturers have followed Apple's stance.

In other news, the Tesla Cybertruck recently got delayed for a second time, pushing its release to 2023.

Permalink to story.

Oh no, the bubble seems unstable and it might burst any moment now: Let's have Elon do some stupid and outrageous thing in social media so we can divert attention away from this!

Elon Musk doesn't wants to include a charger required by the cars he sales but he is willing to spend over 45 million dollars on the Twitter whimsicality?

The real reason for this that I can find is the Telsa charger has been out of stock for 4mo. If it is required for new car sales, and they dont have any - it makes selling new cars kind of difficult.

Claiming nobody uses the mobile charger is just flat out lying. The vast majority of people wire up a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet and use this charger at home. There are some that fork out $500 for a wall charger permanent mount unit, but I can't fathom that it is most people.

The real reason for this that I can find is the Telsa charger has been out of stock for 4mo. If it is required for new car sales, and they dont have any - it makes selling new cars kind of difficult.

Claiming nobody uses the mobile charger is just flat out lying. The vast majority of people wire up a NEMA 14-50 or 6-50 outlet and use this charger at home. There are some that fork out $500 for a wall charger permanent mount unit, but I can't fathom that it is most people.
If it is a shortage of the charger why not come out and say it and give those consumers a rebate discount... whatever happened to honesty and transparency?

Elon Musk doesn't wants to include a charger required by the cars he sales but he is willing to spend over 45 million dollars on the Twitter whimsicality?
Well the Tesla bois will shell out more for a charger for their precious $35000 EV car with a $10000 car interior that they buy for $70,000, so why not charge them more? EV customers are about as intelligent as boars 90% of the time, especially tesla buyers.

That comparison to smartphone chargers does not make sense. Chances are most already have a USB compatible wall charger from previous phone(s) and they also work with most any other phone. Bad analogy...

I am considering an EV for my next car purchase, but this drives Tesla even further down on my list of vehicles to consider. I have to pay yet another $xxx just to charge my car?? WTF!

Musky/Tesla Go F yourselves!

IF I get an EV, I am planning on wiring my garage with the appropriate 220V outlet to charge it.

Musky is a clown who is embellished by all the people paying all that undeserved attention to him. Pretty soon, his head will explode from all that attention over-inflating his ego.

What a load of tosh.

Perhaps usage was super low, but for the most part spare wheel usage is also super low. I can see already every car manufacturer not including spare wheel with the car, but as a 200$ option. Or wipers, you don't need them in California or Saint Tropez. Boom front & rear 200$ option each for that too.

Of course Musk understand that Teslas are not cars for 3rd World countries. Most of them are bought by outrageously wealthy people, wannabes and influencers. He just insourcing the cost of buyer stupidity.

Are they going to include only 1 or 2 seats next and charge for the remaining seats? What about excluding the Wheel Cover and charge extra for those. Tesla is really milking the cow and expect consumers to still pay over and above full price with additional things excluded. I hope it backfires on them or the government steps in, not providing a base charger for a electric car should not be legal.

What a load of tosh.

Perhaps usage was super low, but for the most part spare wheel usage is also super low. I can see already every car manufacturer not including spare wheel with the car, but as a 200$ option. Or wipers, you don't need them in California or Saint Tropez. Boom front & rear 200$ option each for that too.

Of course Musk understand that Teslas are not cars for 3rd World countries. Most of them are bought by outrageously wealthy people, wannabes and influencers. He just insourcing the cost of buyer stupidity.
The spare thing is actually because crossovers are mostly AWD. You cant use the spare with AWD. Even if only for 15-20 miles, that is sufficient to chew up the transfer case because the car isnt smart enogh to figure out the spare isnt slipping constantly.

Jeep found this out the hard way. Even so much as replacing a single tire with a new one and not the others will destroy it. That's why most tire places now wont sell a single tire, only sets of 4, and why most cars dont have spares. The FWD models come with spares, but who buys those?
It's not a car anymore. It's a phone!

I like the cars, but little else about this company.
Every EV startup is like this. Rivian is no different. Zero, the E-bike company, refuses to let you repair your own bike and wont replace the batteries when they die, you have to buy a new bike!

And people buy them. And pay over MSRP for them.

Every article I read about ev's makes them sound unpleasant.

I'm going to go outside and check on my truck, maybe give it a wash and vacuum, treat it nice so it doesnt break, give it a few roofpats.

I'm going to go outside and check on my truck, maybe give it a wash and vacuum, treat it nice so it doesnt break, give it a few roofpats.

Keep clean oil in your car, change the transmission fluid, don't overheat engine, and drive conservatively.

People that purchase EV's do so because they hate the environment. Google cobalt mining and lithium battery disposal.

If Musk buys Twirtter expect several dozen more price rises to pay for the privilege of listening to this bipolar lunatic spout his crap unfettered.

I wouldn't buy a Tesla as long as Musk is still connected to the company.

People that purchase EV's do so because they hate the environment. Google cobalt mining and lithium battery disposal.
Bullshit (again) because most are coming from a smoker, so their environmental concerns are taken care of. Plus there are many more reasons to own an EV, but I'm sure you didn't know that.
I am considering an EV for my next car purchase, but this drives Tesla even further down on my list of vehicles to consider. I have to pay yet another $xxx just to charge my car?? WTF!

Musky/Tesla Go F yourselves!
Not including the necessary charging equipment may be the biggest b***h move I have seen from Tesla. It is a small expense, but considering that Teslas are the only EVs going up in price, it is just petty.

Last edited:
No. To get the charger you had to be one of the special first adopters so only a few got the charger. If you just go to the car lot and buy one you get nothing.
Damn man, I did not know that. It's a shame so few in the tech press talks about this, and the only way to find out is to speak with an actual owner like you.

Did they give you any part of the charge system?

I have a wall mounted charger (240v 32A single phase) at home, and generally choose destinations with similar or better. And as an early adopter I have lifetime free supercharging, so use that on long trips. I have used the portable charger a few times, maybe a dozen, which isn't very high use, to be sure. But knowing that if I miscalculate my trip and end up somewhere too far from a charger then as long as there is a standard power point I can get within 7 meters of I will be able to charge up (eventually, probably overnight) is not an insignificant comfort factor. And the few times I did use it deliberately were for remote places with no charger closer than 250km I could not have gone to otherwise. If not provided, I would have bought it.

Back