Tesla's Giga Texas plant rolls the first production Cybertruck off the assembly line

Jimmy2x

Staff
Highly anticipated: Tesla fans and detractors alike have anxiously awaited the Cybertruck's delivery since it was announced in November 2019. Since then, the vehicle's development has encountered numerous delays, unflattering information leaks, and even cringeworthy demonstrations, leading some to question Tesla's ability to deliver a timely, competitive vehicle in the growing EV pickup market. Fortunately for Cybertruck fans, a tweet from Tesla's Austin factory on Saturday may have finally answered that question.

Earlier this year, Musk told earnings call participants that mass production of the company's EV pickup wouldn't begin until sometime in 2024, with manufacturing beginning sometime in the summer of 2023. An early Saturday morning tweet from Tesla's official account appears to back Musk's previous claims, proudly showing the team from Giga Austin surrounding the first production Cybertruck to leave its assembly line.

The announcement comes just a few days after Musk posted pictures while driving the Cybertruck around the Austin, TX area. A video of the EV on the streets of Austin was also posted, giving viewers a real-life look at the vehicle's angles and approach.

Tesla's Giga Texas facility is almost as impressive as the vehicles it produces. The ultramodern factory spans 2,500 acres and boasts more than 10 million square feet of manufacturing space used for Tesla's current Model Y and upcoming Cybertruck lineup. If you need to put that into perspective, the facility is the equivalent of roughly 173 American football fields.

The space will be well used if Cybertruck production stays on target. The company claims to have received over 1.5 million Cybertruck reservations, though at just $100 per reservation, the actual number of buyers that follow through with delivery could end up being much lower.

While Tesla's announcement is a step in the right direction, the EV automaker is still positioned to play catch-up to its competitors in the EV pickup market. Ford's F-150 Lightning, the company's full-size EV pickup offering, has been available since late 2021 and relatively well received by both consumers and reviewers. Tesla will also be up against other established vehicles and new entrants to the market including Rivian, GMC, and RAM.

Tesla still hasn't announced the final price for its long-awaited EV pickup. The truck was originally targeted to hit the market at $39,900 for the single-motor variant, and approximately $70,000 for the three-motor variant. With any luck we'll have a better picture of the truck's pricing, features, and availability in the next few months. Maybe we'll also get an update on that bulletproof glass.

Permalink to story.

Considering that Teslas are very unimpressive, with horrible quality and reliability, their Texas facility must be "almost" a dump. But thanks for drawing the line.
Tesla has craftsmanship problems, certainly, but their tech is incredible. I don't even like electric cars and I think Tesla have a lot of interesting stuff going on. I think Tesla has two major problems, it's owners and Elon Musk.

Tesla were testing this truck and other new models in NZ - in a private alpine test area

Don't know it specs changed - but this truck was meant to do under 3 secs for 0 to 60 - ie top supercar level
given shakes in earlier tests- given the people who will buy - That acceleration sounds perfect - get some slicks for the wet

Every Tesla I have driven and ridden in has been simply put, an over priced, worthless effort. I have no doubt this "truck" will be nothing less ....

I do not like it. But I think ability to surprise customers with unusual cars is the right way to go.

I predict these will not sell well after the initial "must have" novelty gimmick wears off for the limited number of customers willing and able to afford this monstrosity. How many people would even want to have this ugly thing sitting in their driveway and be the laughingstock of their neighborhood? Not many I wager.

The cargo space looks small for a "truck." It looks like it has the cargo capacity of a SUV with the rear seats folded or maybe just slightly larger than a mid-sized sedan with the rear seats folded.

This Tesla thing will dethrone the Fiat Multipla as the world most ugliest car. And that was an ugly car.

iu

The PS1 look still seems very dumb. It brings no benefit to the end user. Unless they manage some breakthrough on range, the likes of the R1T, F-150 lightning, and upcoming chevy silverado EV and ram EV are more interesting, if still vastly overpriced.
The cargo space looks small for a "truck." It looks like it has the cargo capacity of a SUV with the rear seats folded or maybe just slightly larger than a mid-sized sedan with the rear seats folded.
That's 95% of trucks now. Literally. Crew cab short bed trucks make up something like 95% of all truck sales, with long beds getting a measly 3%. I dont get it, but a lot of people seem to.

The PS1 look still seems very dumb. It brings no benefit to the end user. Unless they manage some breakthrough on range, the likes of the R1T, F-150 lightning, and upcoming chevy silverado EV and ram EV are more interesting, if still vastly overpriced.

That's 95% of trucks now. Literally. Crew cab short bed trucks make up something like 95% of all truck sales, with long beds getting a measly 3%. I dont get it, but a lot of people seem to.
People like the idea of having a truck but don't actually want one, that's why. "mid sized trucks", IE, all those half ton pickups that aren't work trucks are basically SUV's with a truck bed. As someone who works in the commercial construction industry, I actually prefer my Honda Pilot and just tow a trailer if I need to do truck things. An SUV actually gives me more utility than a truck does as a personal AND work vehicle. If it was 100% a work vehicle then, yes, I'd want a 1 ton truck with tool boxes but those are ~$150,000 new now so there really isn't any point unless I get a company truck.

I have a 12ft trailer I tow with tool boxes attached to it that I bought for $6,000. 2015 honda pilot + trailer and I can do more work than what the people in those half ton trucks can do. Trucks have their place but the half ton "trucks" are trying to be as much of an SUV as possible while still meeting the definition of a truck because people actually want an SUV but like the idea of having a truck because Murica'

It has a 6.5' bed, which is the same as a standard (not shortbed) F150.

You couldn't really identify with the "redneck" lifestyle driving one of those could you!?
And with all those flat panels flexing and rattling on a bumpy road you'd go deaf into the bargain. By the looks of the tyres on the thing is off-roading part of the image? Who knows what purpose a vehicle like this might serve. Being a European I've never understood the fascination with pickups anyway. For a tradesman it might make sense for loads that have to be lowered in but anything else is open to the weather and risks getting stolen.

You couldn't really identify with the "redneck" lifestyle driving one of those could you!?
And with all those flat panels flexing and rattling on a bumpy road you'd go deaf into the bargain. By the looks of the tyres on the thing is off-roading part of the image? Who knows what purpose a vehicle like this might serve. Being a European I've never understood the fascination with pickups anyway. For a tradesman it might make sense for loads that have to be lowered in but anything else is open to the weather and risks getting stolen.
The redneck thing is a trope, a tired one at that. everyone drives trucks, im black and drive one and live in the city city.

at this point trucks are more of a statement vehicle, theyve taken the place of the old big body cadillacs n such. Sure you could buy a bmw/lexus/mercedes etc etc etc, but those come off as more jerklike and fancy.

A nice truck is grounded in its mentality, youre a dude whos doing ok and wants to be seen as such but youll still help move a couch. even if its not a loaded F150 even a small basic clean old single cab still gets nods of approval at the gas pump.

Can I get in on the unflattering things said about the Cybertruck?

OK, it looks like Musk has his wet dreams permeated by science fiction fantasies.

Although like WWII warplanes, maybe it just needs some "nose art"
She'd do nicely:
fantasy_warrior_girl_by_kaffeeautomat_dfyuakv-pre.jpg

I'd bet she'd take a few rednecks minds off how ungodly ugly the truck is. ;)

Last edited:
Ford announced a price cut across the entire F150 lightning product stack as of this morning. There are about a dozen variants but the one that matters is the entry model the "Pro" which as the name implies is aimed at the tradesmen market. The price is now $49,995 USD (also eligible for the full $7500 USD EV tax credit), basically this confirms that the Cybertruck will start at a price of 50K USD as has been suggested for the last couple of years.

The twist is that at that price the F150 is being produced at a serious loss per unit for Ford while the Cybertruck is most likely going to be offered at a margin of between 10-15%. Long story short Tesla is approaching a position to be able to simply undercut their competition right out of the market which is effectively what has happened in the Chinese market leading to Musk having to attend meetings in China where all manufacturers being allowed to sell product in the CCP controlled market have effectively agreed to limit competitive pricing for the supposed intent of allowing all makers to flourish via a rising tide mentality.

An example of this is that VW (currently the worlds largest auto maker) has been pushed out of the EV space as they simply cannot compete on price and have opted to source a Chinese platform for future Audi EV's rather than R&D their own from scratch. This will effectively relegate them to little more than a branding house which over time could seriously damage their market position. A parallel would be Oldsmobile, Pontiac and Mercury becoming little more than styling exercises throughout the 90's and 2000's (till bankruptcy).

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ford-f150-lightning-price-cut-ev/#:~:text=Ford Motor has cut the price of its,competing for the attention of electric vehicle shoppers.

https://thedriven.io/2023/07/12/vw-...o-as-tesla-and-china-ev-makers-win-price-war/

What gets me is where are the effing headlights?

Are those narrow strips of LEDs along the bottom on each side supposed to be it?

Meh, another goofy looking Tesla.....at least I think it looks goofy. But that is my goofy, unwanted opinion so don't bother reading this comment...

Back