Testing and Stressing Computer Components

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtR-X

I plan on starting to sell computers, but I want to ensure that the system is running optimally and unproblematic before I ship it accross the country. Problematic computers may cause even more problems when shipped back due to improper re-packing, which would be incredible costs to take care of. I want to use every ounce of prevention possible.

I've heard of some stress-testing programs that make the computer run all processes at nearly 100% for hours to see how the computer does. I also plan on using memtest86 in my tests.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to go about this and any programs they'd recommend.

Thank you!

well, for the memory it's got to be memtest86

For the CPU, simply a number crunching program such as Seti or the climate change experiment will do.

Or you could even simply use PCmark.

google for 'computer benchmark tests', they typically run the gamit for graphics,
hd, buss-transfer rate, and memory testing

here's one30 day free trial

there are *many* others :)

As far as stress-testing the computer goes, is there anything else I could do to thoroughly ensure that I will reduce the chances of anything going wrong with the computer before I send it out? As far as the stress testing goes, is that all I can really do? How would I go about PSU testing for making sure the voltage is pretty constant?

Thanks much guys.

Preparing computers and comprehensive tests

I am going to start selling computers.

I need to use every ounce of prevention possible to keep the computers from malfunctioning when it arrives at the end user as shipping back computers is a huge setback and a huge risk for improperly packed equipment.

Before I ship out a computer I plan on:
1. Testing PSU for proper voltage (suggestions very welcome!).
2. Running MemTest86.
3. Running a hard drive test (but don't know which software I should use).
4. Installing, updating windows and hardware drivers, including flashing the BIOS to the latest version.
5. Running 3DMark06, PCMark05, and then BurnInTest (I would like to monitor the temperature so any suggestions are welcome).
6. Install optional programs (anti-virus, burning software, dvd player, etc.) and update.
7. Uninstall unnecessary programs.
8. Run CCleaner, clean up unnecessary files and clean up programs in start up.
9. Verify all cd drives, floppy, flash, USB, firewire, and sound are functional.
10. Defrag the computer (taking suggestions for a nice and very light defrag program).

I've heard of people "cloning" windows XP onto the hard drive and this boggles me. I'm not exactly sure what this entails, but as I understand this is a very fast way to install the operating system. Are these people just installing a base installation of the OS to a HD and then cloning it?

Thank you guys!

[Merged both threads, no need to start another one!]
^^^sorry

I've heard of people "cloning" windows XP onto the hard drive and this boggles me. I'm not exactly sure what this entails, but as I understand this is a very fast way to install the operating system. Are these people just installing a base installation of the OS to a HD and then cloning it?

Sysprep... https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic48387.html - very useful tool from MS.

As long as all PCs you plan on selling are absolutely identical in hardware, you install 1 PC the way you want it.
Then you take an image (e.g. with Drive Image) of that install, which you then 'clone' onto the next PCs.

RealBlackStuff said:
As long as all PCs you plan on selling are absolutely identical in hardware, you install 1 PC the way you want it.
Then you take an image (e.g. with Drive Image) of that install, which you then 'clone' onto the next PCs.

So what other options would I be looking at for an automated install? I heard this is done through Sysprep with Windows 2000, but as far as Windows XP goes, is this even possible?

Before I ship out a computer I plan on:
1. Testing PSU for proper voltage (suggestions very welcome!).Buy Everest, it can monitor voltages, temps, fan RPM etc in the motherboard section. Since you going to use this in a professional manner you should buy the full version.
2. Running MemTest86.
3. Running a hard drive test (but don't know which software I should use).
Go here, lots of stuff: http://homepage.virgin.net/roy.longbottom/
4. Installing, updating windows and hardware drivers, including flashing the BIOS to the latest version.
5. Running 3DMark06, PCMark05, and then BurnInTest (I would like to monitor the temperature so any suggestions are welcome).(see 1. above)
6. Install optional programs (anti-virus, burning software, dvd player, etc.) and update.
7. Uninstall unnecessary programs.
8. Run CCleaner, clean up unnecessary files and clean up programs in start up.
9. Verify all cd drives, floppy, flash, USB, firewire, and sound are functional.(see 3. above)
Also run SiSoft Sandra, read here:http://www.active-hardware.com/english/misc/sandra.html
10. Defrag the computer (taking suggestions for a nice and very light defrag program).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back