Testing GeForce Now Ultimate RTX 4080 Tier

I'm only speculating on this, but maybe part of the reason the 40 series is priced so unreasonably is to sell cloud gaming services? The 4080 isn't exactly bad product, it's just priced poorly. The 40 series has a lot of things going for it, I just wish nVidia wasn't trying to over-value what they're selling

Last edited:
Great review, very well structured. Congratulation, and keep posting and update us with GeForce Now Ultimate in time.
Can you tell us how much did you pay for Gigabyte M34WQ? In my region it is 540-580 euro and want to compare.

$20/month isn’t bad considering it would take 5 years to equal the 4080’s purchase price.
But if you buy a GPU, you are left with something you can sell at the end or use for other purposes, here you pay for access and get nothing, and are limited to their titles etc., its like a car lease (which already doesn't make for great financial sense), but they also decide which roads you can drive on

But if you buy a GPU, you are left with something you can sell at the end or use for other purposes, here you pay for access and get nothing, and are limited to their titles etc., its like a car lease (which already doesn't make for great financial sense), but they also decide which roads you can drive on
Lease make sense in some cases. I wouldn't want to buy a Porsche for $150,000 but it might be fun to drive one, maintenance free, for a few years. That $30,000 you're going to spend over 2 years to lease a porsche would be lost as depreciation not to mention maintenance costs. Now it'd be dumb to lease a Honda Civic, just buy the thing. $20/m for 4080 performance isn't a bad deal but I'd rather own a card for a few hundred bucks and not worry about monthly payments.

For me, it's not even about the money. The hassle of keeping up with a $20/m payment isn't worth it. I'd rather just buy a card and keep it for a few years rather than worring about payments. That's the thing that I find infinitely frustrating about subscription services. Sure, I can afford the monthly payment but I could also afford to just out-right buy the product

Lease make sense in some cases. I wouldn't want to buy a Porsche for $150,000 but it might be fun to drive one, maintenance free, for a few years. That $30,000 you're going to spend over 2 years to lease a porsche would be lost as depreciation not to mention maintenance costs. Now it'd be dumb to lease a Honda Civic, just buy the thing. $20/m for 4080 performance isn't a bad deal but I'd rather own a card for a few hundred bucks and not worry about monthly payments.

For me, it's not even about the money. The hassle of keeping up with a $20/m payment isn't worth it. I'd rather just buy a card and keep it for a few years rather than worring about payments. That's the thing that I find infinitely frustrating about subscription services. Sure, I can afford the monthly payment but I could also afford to just out-right buy the product
Another option is to use a 0% cc over 21 months equal payments for eg the 4080 by pny fell to $1139.99 @ Amazon come down to about $54.30 ( $1149 for gigabye version at besbuy). In the end you can sell that card in the second hand used market and apply funds to let's say rtx 5080 down the line.
The author mentioned they have a 2070 currently selling for $200 plus on ebay . If we apply the current value of the 2070 subtracted from a new 4080 and divide the payments it looks even more affordable at $45 per month x 21 payments. If you own a 3080 ( selling for about $450 on ebay used) the delta monthly payments come down to about $33 per month x 21 payments before the 4080 is yours.
GeForce now makes for a good option for those handheld gaming PCs like the Asus ROG ALLY and can probably use the 3080 tear performance (1080p 120fps ) target. Vs. the $2000 proprietary solution Asus is going to charge for the 4090 mobile version accessory ad on.

Well said. Pointless really, unless you are a casual gamer and the experience is not at all like native gaming + limited. It's the best game streaming service available tho.

Even with 1000/1000 Fiber + Ethernet I was not impressed last time I tried Geforce Now. Compression artifacts and mediocre image quality + way less responsive than native.

Shooters were almost unplayable for me - however I demand 100 fps minimum in most PC games and use 1440p/240Hz so I might not be the best to judge. I demand low input lag and game streaming do not deliver, regardless of connection..

Most casual users will probably use some dated Wi-Fi..

The thing is, how much will a 4080 be worth in 5 years? A 2080 Ti, released 5 years ago, selling used on eBay is going between $200-500 (and higher). So, realistically, $250 if it's in real good shape? And now you have to buy another one and the OP can keep using the service. It's not a bad way to go, especially if you don't use the service full time.

Back