Testing proxy server

newbie5678

I was wondering if one of the mods can trace my ip address? I am using a proxy server and would like to know if it does a good job of concealing my original ip address. Thanks.

We can get an IP whether or not its your REAL IP or not I don't know. If you are concerned enough to post on this then I imagine you don't want me to post your IP.

Even more reason to chill out then.... ;) Good.

Although, its possible that if its just http proxy then its only web server stuff that sees the proxy, since its fetching the page on your behalf.

If you do any other kind of network stuff, like FTP, etc, it would be interesting to see what IP that reckons it was - probably your actual IP I should think.

If you really want to secure your machine, put it behind a machine doing NAT (network address translation - basically, internet connection sharing. ) The outside world will only see your NAT box, and not your actual computer. You can then install firewall software on the NAT box.

For this NAT Box, you would need a PC with 2 network cards.

You can do just about anything else, in terms of connecting TO things, but THINGS CONNECTING TO YOU is another story, which is kind of what you wanted. Certainly, you wouldn't be hosting any internet games without a great deal of mucking around - unless you ran a dedicated server or something on the NAT box.

To be honest, as I've told you on other threads (I think), then:

1)Install zonealarm (and keep up to date.)

2)Install anti virus software (and keep up to date.)

3)Keep going to windowsupdate.microsoft.com.

4)Look into backing up your system somehow.

And everything will be cool, in all likelyhood.

Back